Premed 101 Forums

wGPA vs cGPA

Hey guys,

Mainly with UofT in mind, I'm wondering if the adcom will differentiate between wGPA and cGPA when making their decisions. What I mean is, say someone with a 3.80cGPA is compared with someone with a 3.94wGPA. If deciding in terms of academic performance solely, would the adcom keep in mind that one is cGPA while the other is wGPA, or would they just view it as the same?

I'm guessing it's the latter which makes sense because the purpose of the weighting is to benefit those with a full course load right?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts!

They just see a number...this has been discussed many times already; search function is above.

There are other factors that come into play post-interview that not many people know about; however on the raw comparison, a 3.94 wGPA will be higher than a 3.80 cGPA. Again, there are other factors for consideration such as research pubs, etc.

Yeah, I'm aware of the other factors. Just wondering how a comparison of ONLY the gpas would be done, without taking into consideration anything else. But yeah like you said 3.94 is higher and so I guess the fact that 3.80 was weighted will not have much of an impact since everyone had the option of carrying a full course load.

wGPA is weighted. Some schools like UofT will weight your GPA based on if you've taken a full course load every year (check the UofT website). UOttawa places more weight on the latter years of study (there's a formula you can find on the website). Etc.

i have a question sort of similar to the one op posed:

if person A has a cgpa of 3.7 and a wgpa of 3.9, yet person B has a cgpa of 3.9 and a wgpa of 3.9, then will adcoms take person B over person A? (assuming, hypothetically, that all other factors are equal)

i guess what i'm really asking is whether adcoms will be able to see both cgpa and wgpa... i mean, if they have access to your entire transcript, and if it comes down between two candidates with the exact same stats but with differing cgpa, then would the cgpa be the final deciding factor?

i see... thanks guys!

sorry, i just got another question: i know they look at cgpa/wgpa, but how about the science gpa? what's its role/significance in the admissions process?

in Canada basically none. That is more of a US concept - in Canada your degree doesn't really matter (or anything related to parts of your degree, like science credits only). You can have 0 science (except for any required prereqs at a few schools, which are only a handful normally) and actually get in as long as you manage to do well on the mcat for the schools that care about that :)

Depends where you go. The only school that is relevant to me that looks at prerequisite course average separately from wGPA is UBC. I am not overly familiar with all of the eastern schools, maybe some look at it out there.

Archived