Premed 101 Forums

Landline vs cellphones..

psychoswim

Because I'm indecisive about it..

How many of you have only a cell? Both? Only a landline?

I know I'm getting a smartphone (most likely Nexus S). But I can't decide whether to:

- stay on my prepaid 0.20/minute talk + $20 for unlimited texts and 250MB data & keep my landline (so around 50 a month)

or

- get rid of my landline (I think I don't get penalized, have to check) and get a $55 plan that has nationwide 10#, early nights, unltd texts, 200 mins and 1GB data. And the phone would be 400 cheaper too.

I don't really talk much at home.. almost exclusively my parents and sister who are long distance but they could just go into my 10#. And with skype credits I can call nationwide at 2-3c a minute over data/wifi. But I want internet access without having to bring my laptop with me even if it's wifi.

So yeah.. what do you guys do? Is there any reason to keep a landline in your opinion?

I only have a cell (as do the other people in my house). For the last few years of owning a house and having a land line, all I got was telemarketers calling on the landline. I realized it was unnecessary so I cancelled it. The phone company really did not like me cancelling the landline.

I only have a cell (as do the other people in my house). For the last few years of owning a house and having a land line, all I got was telemarketers calling on the landline. I realized it was unnecessary so I cancelled it. The phone company really did not like me cancelling the landline.

lol I can imagine! I was among the first wave of users to get access to Videotron's phone services some years back. I was with Bell at that point and made the switch because it was a LOT cheaper. Bell hassled me with letters and cards for 3 years after!

For me it's been only cell + data for 5yrs+.

As a student u can get great cheap monthly deals, plus at Telus i have my top 5 or 10 (can't remember) so i can call these numbers for free at anytime (I could put my fam on the list as they are long dist and never have to pay when i call or they call me).

Chances are u won't be home very much starting next semester anyways ;)

C

Because I'm indecisive about it..

I know I'm getting a smartphone (most likely Nexus S). But I can't decide whether to:

- stay on my prepaid 0.20/minute talk + $20 for unlimited texts and 250MB data & keep my landline (so around 50 a month)

or

- get rid of my landline (I think I don't get penalized, have to check) and get a $55 plan that has nationwide 10#, early nights, unltd texts, 200 mins and 1GB data. And the phone would be 400 cheaper too.

For me it's been only cell + data for 5yrs+.

Remeber as a student u can get great cheap monthly deals, plus at Telus i have my top 5 or 10 (can't remember) so i can call these numbers for free at anytime (I could put my fam on the list as they are long dist and never have to pay when i call or they call me).

Chances are u won't be home very much starting next semester anyways ;)

C

Planning on staying at Telus.. My top 10 would pretty much be sis home/cell, mom home/work, and then a few local friends so no need for long distance indeed. Student deals aren't really that great anymore it seems, but 55 isn't really more expansive than what I'm already paying. :)

Check ur PMs :)

Planning on staying at Telus.. My top 10 would pretty much be sis home/cell, mom home/work, and then a few local friends so no need for long distance indeed. Student deals aren't really that great anymore it seems, but 55 isn't really more expansive than what I'm already paying. :)

I only use a cell and same with the rest of my family. We're all under the same account so all calls between us are free.

Unlimited incoming and outgoing texts to/from local, national, and international numbers, unlimited incoming and outgoing calls from anyone within metro Vancouver, caller ID, and a 1 GB data plan. All for $65/month. I could probably get away with a 150 MB data plan since I spend most of my time in places with free wi-fi, which would bring down the bill to $45/month.

Archived