Premed 101 Forums

York U Kinesiology Undergrad

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just finished high school and I'm headed to york next yr for the kin program, my ultimate goal is to get into a Canadian med school :)

i was wondering if any of you who are in the program or have completed it could give me some insight and advice.

the website says that we need a

A Humanities or Social Science Foundations course and a Living Body or Human Biology course.

What are the easiest courses to take to fulfill these requirements?

Also, for the sociocultural perspectives in kin and intro to fitness and health if i want to get a head start on those courses, how do you suggest i prepare? do the courses follow the textbook religiously or am i better off getting someones notes from this past semester?

Is it possible for a first year student to gain any lab experience and are there any research oppurtunities?

Should i be taking 4 or 5 courses? i know abot u of t's weigting formula but i dont know if its a good idea to keep the course load more than manageablesince it will be my irst yr

id appreciate any advice

thanks in advance

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just finished high school and I'm headed to york next yr for the kin program, my ultimate goal is to get into a Canadian med school :)

i was wondering if any of you who are in the program or have completed it could give me some insight and advice.

A Humanities or Social Science Foundations course and a Living Body or Human Biology course.

Also, for the sociocultural perspectives in kin and intro to fitness and health if i want to get a head start on those courses, how do you suggest i prepare? do the courses follow the textbook religiously or am i better off getting someones notes from this past semester?

Is it possible for a first year student to gain any lab experience and are there any research oppurtunities?

Should i be taking 4 or 5 courses? i know abot u of t's weigting formula but i dont know if its a good idea to keep the course load more than manageablesince it will be my irst yr

id appreciate any advice

thanks in advance

I have no idea what the living body stuff is, I think it might be new for this year.

For 1000 and 1020, I guess you can read the textbook if you'd like, but material tested is from the lectures I believe.

Research opportunities are available if you look for them. Personally, I would say don't worry about research during the year for first year, just try to get used to university. Do research the summer after 1st year or from 2nd year onwards. Kine 2nd year is the hardest, btw.

Take 5 credits (or 30 credits, in this case). Always.

Why does everyone say this? :(

can't you just even out your schedules to make it lighter lol

Well its because you're loaded with courses from both 2nd and 3rd year: Human Phys I and II, Human Anatomy, Biomechanics, Statistics, Research Methods... its definitely doable, just be confident!

Well its because you're loaded with courses from both 2nd and 3rd year: Human Phys I and II, Human Anatomy, Biomechanics, Statistics, Research Methods... its definitely doable, just be confident!

Do you think you need human phys 1 to do 2? I know the answer seems obvious but eh you never know lol.

Hi...sorry this is probably unrelated to your question but just wondering what qualifies as a human biology course? would intro to biology count or something like animal physiology is what this is referring to?

To be honest, i have no idea if that represents a single course or a category of biology courses. This is where i got my information from: http://www.arts.yorku.ca/advising/degrees/descriptions/Kinesiology.html

To be honest, i have no idea if that represents a single course or a category of biology courses. This is where i got my information from: http://www.arts.yorku.ca/advising/degrees/descriptions/Kinesiology.html

Use this

http://www.yorku.ca/health/kine/documents/BScSPHons2010.pdf

and i'm pretty sure its the exact same requirements this year. You can wait a bit to see for sure, but if you're an eager beaver, I'd follow this.

I think thats old. Kine department does not offer living body or human bio, intro to health or 2nd year sport psych (its a third year course now) anymore.

human phys I, research methods and stats are all bird courses, same with biomechanics if u have a background in physics. phys II seems to be average in difficulty with human anatomy being the only hard course. the reason why they say second year is the hardest is because first year is incredibly easy compared to the rest of the degree and 3rd and 4th year have a lot more freedom in choosing ur courses.

That's incorrect.

Are you in the BA or BSc stream? If BA, consider taking Human Development as your NATS. Its an easy A+ and it'll provide you with some background info for phys in second year :)

Know any easy A+ humanities courses? lol blehh need one.

human phys I, research methods and stats are all bird courses, same with biomechanics if u have a background in physics. phys II seems to be average in difficulty with human anatomy being the only hard course. the reason why they say second year is the hardest is because first year is incredibly easy compared to the rest of the degree and 3rd and 4th year have a lot more freedom in choosing ur courses.

haha I did the psych research methods and stats because I was in psych previously and surprising I killed phys 2 but only moderately killed phys 1, which is supposed to be easier. Haven't taken biomech, but I hear it isn't so bad...

As for Anatomy... Neil Smith makes my summers busy. He soars through the material.

Not to be redundant or anything, but can anyone give me like a typical course load, in first year kin, that includes the mandatory courses for first year, and electives - (especially ones that's have the greatest potential to obtain a high grade, "a gpa booster" so to speak). Also any professors that I would want to have for my courses or ones that i want to stay away from? Don't know how great of a question this is but, anyone find that arranging your time table in a particular way advantage you in any such way?

Not to be redundant or anything, but can anyone give me like a typical course load, in first year kin, that includes the mandatory courses for first year, and electives - (especially ones that's have the greatest potential to obtain a high grade, "a gpa booster" so to speak). Also any professors that I would want to have for my courses or ones that i want to stay away from? Don't know how great of a question this is but, anyone find that arranging your time table in a particular way advantage you in any such way?

http://www.yorku.ca/health/kine/documents/BSctypicalcoursesequence2010.pdf

THANKS, that def helps !

Not to be a **** but finding out typical BA amd BSC courses required 5 mins of looking on the York U website. If you couldnt muster up the research methods to find that, how are you doing to do in your studies?

You should generally try to find amswers to your questions on your own before asking for help, especially the easiest of GED questions.

Hey everyone,

id appreciate any advice

thanks in advance

For the humanities/social science course you can take economics. ECON 1900 is really easy from what i hear, ECON 1010 (Macroeconomics) is pretty easy too.

No you can't. I wanted to do that, so I met with an advisor and its not allowed. The course code has to contain SOSC or HUMA in order for it to count. Econ only counts as a social science when you apply to med.

EDIT: econ does count as an unspecified gen ed, but I think they got rid of those- its strictly huma/sosc/modr now.

http://science.yorku.ca/gened-basc.html

Not to be a **** but finding out typical BA amd BSC courses required 5 mins of looking on the York U website. If you couldnt muster up the research methods to find that, how are you doing to do in your studies?

You should generally try to find amswers to your questions on your own before asking for help, especially the easiest of GED questions.

Yeah your right, I asked because the kin students here could add additional insight since their in the program themselves.

That is for unspecified gen ed courses, and in a different program...not the HUMA/SOSC/MODR requirements. The faculty of science has different rules.

...wait, I'm assuming you're in kin and therefore in the faculty of health. My bad. Someone will clarify for you when you go in for enrollment.

I already had my enrollment appointment.

The general education courses are outlined by the degree you're getting not your faculty, so all BSc students have to take one of the courses on the list in the link. Doesn't matter if you're in the faculty of Science or health

Maybe things have changed since you started at york

Archived