Premed 101 Forums

Question About Reapplying to Same School

Tried searching but didn't really know what to search for :o

Are you negatively affected if you apply to the same school two years in a row?

For example, if I felt confident enough to apply to Mac+Toronto during my third year and was not fortunate enough to get in, would it be considered detrimental when reapplying during my 4th year?

Also, in terms of gaining interview experience and getting familiar with the applications, is applying during 3rd year a good route to take or is it just a waste of time?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and I apologize if this has been answered before.

No, it is not detrimental.

Apply in your third year if you feel you might be competitive.

I know many of my friends got in after third year even after saying "I am just doing this for experience in case I don't get in".

I also know others who didn't get in, and got in to the same school the following year.

So apply if you feel you will be competitive.

However, there may be some sort of hidden application number limit.

ie: Three interviews (1 each year to the same school) and rejected each time might be a flag.

Some schools want to see an improvement in your application from the previous year if you decide to reapply. McGill is an example of this. McGill also states that applicants who apply more than three times are rarely successful. Other schools, like UBC, allow you to reapply without prejudice. I think you should find out if a subsequent application lowers your chances for those schools. I know many people apply to non-prejudiced that don't need undergraduate degree completion in third year just to get a feel for the application cycle and the interview process.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't it take the majority of people multiple years of applying before they're accepted into medical school? My friend applied in his 3rd year to the U of C, got rejected. Then he applied in his 4th year to the U of C and got in. I don't see how anybody could consider it a bad thing.. =S

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'll try to find out which schools are similar to McGill.

Also, are interviews conducted at the school itself.

Ex. Would I have to go to BC if I applied to UBC (and was fortunate enough to get an interview) or do they hold interviews in Ontario as well?

Ottawa gives you three shots at the interview then your application would not be considered. This is the only school that I know of where your future chances may be affected. I would apply anyways...I didn't think I would get in after 3 years, but luckily i did. Just take into account that the application process takes ALOT of time (for me anways) and this MAY affect your performance in school and thus your future chances if you do not get in.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'll try to find out which schools are similar to McGill.

Also, are interviews conducted at the school itself.

Ex. Would I have to go to BC if I applied to UBC (and was fortunate enough to get an interview) or do they hold interviews in Ontario as well?

You have to go to the school.

Applying when in third year definitely familiarizes you with the process, which is only an advantage, and should you be interviewed, this too gives you greater experience. And you might get in! Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Applying again does not affect your chances.

Ottawa gives you three shots at the interview then your application would not be considered. This is the only school that I know of where your future chances may be affected. I would apply anyways...I didn't think I would get in after 3 years, but luckily i did. Just take into account that the application process takes ALOT of time (for me anways) and this MAY affect your performance in school and thus your future chances if you do not get in.

May I ask what you did during your 2 years gap? Thanks!

Tried searching but didn't really know what to search for :o

Are you negatively affected if you apply to the same school two years in a row?

For example, if I felt confident enough to apply to Mac+Toronto during my third year and was not fortunate enough to get in, would it be considered detrimental when reapplying during my 4th year?

Also, in terms of gaining interview experience and getting familiar with the applications, is applying during 3rd year a good route to take or is it just a waste of time?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and I apologize if this has been answered before.

Nobody actually knows. These are all speculations.

Archived