Premed 101 Forums

UofT life sci GPA

Hello, I will be a first year life sci at UofT this coming fall. Like many here I plan on going to medical school after 3-4 years (hopefully not more) of undergraduate studies. I realize matriculants are 'the cream of the crop' and understand that the majority of them had stellar grades. However, I am slightly confused as to how the GPA system works at UofT. I have been told that an 85+ is a 4.0 but for OMSAS(the important thing) it is 90+. So which one is it?

Hello, I will be a first year life sci at UofT this coming fall. Like many here I plan on going to medical school after 3-4 years (hopefully not more) of undergraduate studies. I realize matriculants are 'the cream of the crop' and understand that the majority of them had stellar grades. However, I am slightly confused as to how the GPA system works at UofT. I have been told that an 85+ is a 4.0 but for OMSAS(the important thing) it is 90+. So which one is it?

85+ is a 4.0 on the U of T scale. 90+ us a 4.0 on the OMSAS scale. The latter (OMSAS) is what matters for Ontario schools. So if you want a 4.0 GPA then work on hitting 90% and above in your courses.

The next 3-4 years will be fun, challenging, stressful. With that said, good luck and God's speed.

Oh wow. This is definitely going to be a challenge. What about US schools? You know... for long shots like JHU.

Also, I plan on volunteering all year 'round for the next couple of years. I want to volunteer at the Hospital for Sick Children but I'm wondering if it would be better to volunteer at a more traditional hospital e.g. Mount Sinai, St. Michael's, Toronto General. Which one would you recommend?

Oh wow. This is definitely going to be a challenge. What about US schools? You know... for long shots like JHU.

Also, I plan on volunteering all year 'round for the next couple of years. I want to volunteer at the Hospital for Sick Children but I'm wondering if it would be better to volunteer at a more traditional hospital e.g. Mount Sinai, St. Michael's, Toronto General. Which one would you recommend?

Doesn't matter which hospital you volunteer at. But make sure you're doing something you like when you're volunteering. I helped a doctor input countless amount of data for a study at mt. sinai and hated it so much that i stopped going after 4 months.

Also, don't underestimate uoft. That is, don't make plans to volunteer full round because some people can't handle 5 courses and a volunteering commitment. Get a feel for university-life before you make big plans. But a couple of hours here and there won't hurt, i guess.

Archived