Premed 101 Forums

Research work without a specific project

amalwa12

Hey guys,

Last summer, I spent over three months working under a PhD student who was making a few transgenic worm models that he needed to study. My job was basically to help him construct the DNA segments that were required and screen thousands of worms to see if the segments had been incorporated or not, using flourescence and morphology in general.

I learned a lot of the everyday techniques used in molecular biology labs and I learned a lot about the worm as a model animal. The work was intensive and required a lot of attention to detail and perseverance. HOWEVER, there were no end results other than having successfully integrated the strains - because that was my job anyway. The PhD student would go on to use those strains to answer his questions.

Now my question is whether that counts as substantial research experience, since I didn't really have to solve any problems, or design any experiments, or even present any data since there was really nothing to present?

I have also continued at that lab as a technical assistant, helping the prof with database entry and making the media required for worm growth, spending about 6-7hours per week. How important/useful do you think that experience will be when presented to the adcoms?

Sorry for the length of this post. I guess I'm just asking if my experience was substantial enough since it wasn't exactly 'research'.

Thank you for any thoughts:)

Research is not a requirement for MD admission so the substantiality of the experience is irrelevant in terms of whether you can put in in your application or not. As MacBook said, just say what you learned from the experience on your application.

Research is not a requirement for MD admission so the substantiality of the experience is irrelevant in terms of whether you can put in in your application or not. As MacBook said, just say what you learned from the experience on your application.

Osteons are very pretty to look at, especially molecular models :D

Thanks guys:)

Yeah you're right. And personally, I think I learned a lot from my experiences, which have made me understand and appreciate basic science research. I'm doing a research project next year primarily because of my past experiences.

Thanks guys:)

Yeah you're right. And personally, I think I learned a lot from my experiences, which have made me understand and appreciate basic science research. I'm doing a research project next year primarily because of my past experiences.

Nice :) Biochem project?

Archived