Premed 101 Forums

BA Kinesiology?

Hey, I read that what your degree is in doesn't really matter at all as no med schools look at it but I was wondering if they cared at all if you had a BA or Bsc? I'm trying to decide between Mcmaster Kinesiology program and Laurier's BA Kinesiology and Physical Education. Laurier's looks more fun but Mcmaster has a better rep. From what I've read here though, I should probably just go with Laurier.

MAC offers a BA kin program? I thought it was just BSC?

Typically it doesnt matter your program or school of study but a few things fpr pursuing a BA program:

Prepare yourself for those med schools that require science pre req's. Also note those schools which require MCATs. 4 years without sciences is going to make it difficult to write the MCAT in my opinion.

Additional it seems that schools with dont require MCAT generally require science pre req's and those who dont require pre req's generally reqiire MCAT.

Just some thoughts but you are right in that it doesnt really matter as long as you meet all the requirements of the med schools you're interested in.

1) REPUTATION DOES NOT MATTER - Laurentian, vs Ryerson, vs York, vs U of T, vs Mac, vs Dalhousie....they all look the same on paper, and your GPA counts more

2) DEGREE DOES NOT MATTER - You can have a BSc (honors) with some specialization or you can have a bachelors in communications or fine arts. Much to people's perpetual distraught over which program to choose, base it off of your personal strengths, distance to home, comfort etc. Med schools do not favour reputation nor degree (with some exceptions in the states) again GPA IS ALL THAT MATTERS OUT OF YOUR DEGREE

3) is this not written in the FAQ? Last time I checked it was...

Hey, thanks! The Mac program isn't a BA just the Laurier one. Looking at the course requirements for it though I still have to do a bunch of science courses and have a bunch of electives that I can use to get any other requirements.

to thehumanmacbook - I did look through the FAQ and and I saw the stuff about what your degree is in not mattering but I just wanted to double check that they didn't care about whether it was a BA or Bsc or not.

Archived