Premed 101 Forums

U of A Acceptances

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, hang in there :)-this year was a strong application year especially OOP and a lot of people i bet are declining

just got my acceptance letter via email

stats:

GPA 3.85

pre-req GPA 3.83

DAT: 18 carving, 23 PAT, 19 reading

interview 31.5/35

Goodlluck to all in waitlist!

To all those accepted-im excited to see you all soon!

I have a few itching questions for anyone who has answers:

what's orientation like?

what kind of subjects do we take in first year? do we have class with med students?

what's the summer program about?

Orientation day or Orientation week? Either way, it's very chilled. You'll hear a bunch of speeches, meet a ton of people, have a whole bunch of little group activities/challenges, lot's of free bbq's and parties...it's a sweet week for the 1st years. Then you start the Intro block which lasts a few weeks. It is a bunch of random lectures put together and is a very very easy block!

In the first year, you are combined with the meds for the whole year, until intercession (the meds finish up in the may, whereas we go till mid july doing dental courses such as operative, radiology, periodontics..). The first year med classes are split up into blocks...Intro block, Triple I (Infection, immunity and inflammation), Endocrine, and CPR (cardio, pulm, and renal). On top of the courses that the meds take, you will also have dent courses such as Dental anatomy, occlusion, oral bio, and patient centered care. The year starts off pretty easy and they slowly increase the work load.

As stated above, intercession runs from may to mid july and it is all dental courses. The large majority of the time you will be in the clinic doing operative procedures on the manikins which is pretty sweet.

Waitlisted too. Does anyone know how this usually works? And when do we usually find out? Thanks!

The waitlist moves if someone who was accepted decides not to accept or changes their mind and drops out (or goes to a different school) before the school year starts. The waitlist can move anytime from now till the 2nd day of school. I believe that one person in my class got the call the before the 1st day of classes.

Hope this helps, and congrats to those who were accepted!

Waitlisted... Does anyone know the number of "waitlisting" positions they offer? Will they reveal your position on the waitlist?

Hey I got waitlisted the past two years so heres my two cents on the waitlist. Unofficially I've heard they waitlist less than 10 people. I've asked Chris what waitlist position I was in, but the most she ever said was "your near the top". As for when you find out, most people find out on July 15, the day after the deadline for the normally accepted people to reply. But like Ameen said, someone in our class got accepted the day before classes so I guess it all depends. Anyways, GL

Hey, for people who were just accepted and haven't paid your deposit yet, does your bear tracks still say "decision pending"? This is kind of worrying me. I'm hoping my acceptance e-mail wasn't some terrible mistake!

Haha I thought that they made a mistake letting me in until the first day of classes too. Don't worry about your bear tracks though, that will change.

• 2 weeks later...
So there are 33 members in the facebook group... Does this mean that I should give up all hope of getting off the waitlist? :(

Yeah, about half the people in the group are from the upper years...everyone is curious to see who the newcomers are

Did anyone receive the package yet?? I live in Ontario so I'm thinking because of the postal strike we had that it's all backed up. If someone who received it could pm me whats in it that would be much appreciated just so I don't miss any dates or whatnot :)

Archived