Premed 101 Forums

Ideas on places to rent solo, downtown

Hello everyone!

I am considering getting my own place downtown for September but have no idea about Ottawa and where good places are... I would really appreciate any opinion on this or if you have any other info about housing/renting. I understand downtown is a bit better for night life and such. I also will have a car, not sure if that affects anything. Finally, do you know how much it will be approximately per month (for those who had this experience already) ?

Thank you and see you all in september!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most people who live downtown either live in the Byward Market (around York Street) or around Elgin Street. Many buy condos, while others rent apartments so prices really can vary. Since you mentioned that you have a car, you have to keep in mind that finding parking downtown is difficult so you want to make sure that your apt/condo has parking spots. It was really important for me that the paring was underground since Ottawa is very cold in the winter.

A few people in our class live at the edge of Sandy Hill so prices are a bit more reasonable and the walk is about 10-15 min to the market. I know that the apartment building at Chapel and Rideau charges around 1000-1100 for a bachelor style apt (bedroom, washroom, kitchen, living room) and around 1500 for a one bedroom + den (a bit more spacious than one above). Parking and utilities (hydro, cable, internet) would still be on top of that.

Others who rent in the market say its quite expensive and can be around 1600-1800 to live alone (not including utilities).

You may be able to find a deal if you look around, but I don't know how great the living conditions will be so I would definitely recommend coming to see the places for yourself.

If you think the downtown area is a bit too expensive, my next recommendation would be Lees since the units are a bit more reasonably priced and you could still live alone. Many other med students live in the Lees apartments.

Hope that helps!

I would also recommend around Elgin/Centertown. I am paying $760 per month and I'm at a very central location: downtown, near the Queensway, the Glebe and a 10-minute walk from the canal and the Somerset pedestrian bridge leading to U of Ottawa main campus (although I assume most classes are at Roger-Guindon or Civic campus, which are not on the main campus).

I found my place on Kijiji. A couple bought a house and wanted out of their lease. It might be a good place to look for available apartments.

I would also recommend around Elgin/Centertown. I am paying $760 per month and I'm at a very central location: downtown, near the Queensway, the Glebe and a 10-minute walk from the canal and the Somerset pedestrian bridge leading to U of Ottawa main campus (although I assume most classes are at Roger-Guindon or Civic campus, which are not on the main campus).

I found my place on Kijiji. A couple bought a house and wanted out of their lease. It might be a good place to look for available apartments.

All classes are at RGN - you may end up at the Civic for electives, but those are completely optional. Clerkship years are of course all over the place.

$760/month is absurd (unless it's a bachelor)! Most one bedrooms will be $900-$1100 for a run of the mill place.

Is there a popular lease starting date? I will only be able to look for apartments at the end of July - is it common to get an Aug. 1st or Sept 1st start date?

A lot of the undergrad student housing seems to be common for May 1st, but really you'll find that there's no especially popular date if you're looking at apartments. My current one is August 1st, but my last one was September 1st - and you shouldn't have a problem finding a place for either date. If you're looking at the end of July/beginning of August, you might also be able to hop in on an empty apartment in the middle of August.

If you don't mind paying, 234 Rideau Street (Claridge Plaza) opened up only like a month ago and I see a far number of adverts for it. I live in the adjacent building (there a few in my class there) and all in all I like the place.

How is the general cost of living in Ottawa? I'm trying to create some sort of budget for the upcoming year... I'd like to live alone, so I'm thinking $1000/mth on rent, not sure how much food/general expenses will be? Is $15000 for the year too conservative?

Also, what do med students do during the summer months (and when does summer start exactly)? Should I remain in Ottawa or come back home? If there is no absolute answer, what are current med students doing?

Thanks for all your guys' help, it is much appreciated!

How is the general cost of living in Ottawa? I'm trying to create some sort of budget for the upcoming year... I'd like to live alone, so I'm thinking $1000/mth on rent, not sure how much food/general expenses will be? Is $15000 for the year too conservative?

Also, what do med students do during the summer months (and when does summer start exactly)? Should I remain in Ottawa or come back home? If there is no absolute answer, what are current med students doing?

Thanks for all your guys' help, it is much appreciated!

I would say for a normal one bedroom downtown you're looking at $900-$1200 - you should be okay around $1000, although you might have bills on top of that depending on the lease. Food and other expenses will really depend on you and your habits, i.e. how much you eat out, buy other stuff (e.g. clothes), how much you go out and how much you drink when you do, if you take a trip over breaks, how you get to/from school (parking and gas if you drive), etc. I would say it wouldn't be much different that what you spent in undergrad. I think $15,000 is low if you're including rent.

After first and second year, summer starts at the end of May (our last day of school stuff was May 27th). Second year starts at the beginning of September (O-Week around September 1st, class after labour day). Third year starts mid-August. People in my class seem to be travelling for part or all of summer, working (research, nursing, non-medical jobs), or doing some combination. It seems like there are more people are going home than staying in Ottawa, but there are a lot of people so my perception of this might be off. Essentially, you can do whatever you want!

$760/month is absurd (unless it's a bachelor)! Most one bedrooms will be $900-$1100 for a run of the mill place.

Well, that's what I'm paying! And I forgot to mention it's a one-bedroom apt. I've been living here for years. A couple used to live in it and I took over their lease, so maybe they started their lease when prices were lower in general . Other apartments I looked at in this area were available for around $800 as well. I agree $900 and up is probably a little more common.

Archived