Premed 101 Forums

Queens BSC in Kines vs. Western BMSC

Can anyone help a dazed and confused future med-school hopeful?

Im in this dilemma where i can see the good in both these programs and cannot decide.

Can anyone who knows of the Queens Kinesiology program tell me if it prepares you well enough for the MCAT (really want to take it September before 3rd year) and med-school cause I think that may sway me towards Queens.

Also can i take some of the basic science courses at sometime during my four years as electives in the Kinesiology course? Or will i not have the opportunity?

you can prepare the MCAT by yourself, it is not a measure of your university institution. In fact, many courses will teach you more than you need to know for the MCAT. You can take some of these courses as electives as part of your electives. it does not matter about the university. Choose somewhere that you want to go (close to home, etc) rather than worrying about this kind of stuff.

you can prepare the MCAT by yourself, it is not a measure of your university institution. In fact, many courses will teach you more than you need to know for the MCAT. You can take some of these courses as electives as part of your electives. it does not matter about the university. Choose somewhere that you want to go (close to home, etc) rather than worrying about this kind of stuff.

Thanks for the response much appreciated, still would like to hear from someone from Queen's to see whether the program gives the flexibility to take some basic sciences or not.

I tried to look it up on their website but it wasnt really clear.

Also how do US med-schools look at a kin degree vs a BMSC or do they not favour one or the other like here in Canada?

Most BSC programs in Health Sciences will habe you taking the pre req sciences, typically get them done and oit of the way in first year. Sono need to worry about that aspect for the MCAT.

Mac is right that you done need a science background to study and write the MCAT but im sure it would make the process a bit easier.

Pick the program that interests you the most since typically high interest will make it easier for you to obtain a higher GPA and that is really all that matters.

Both are fun schools in their own unique ways.

I went to Western but partied a ton at Queens. My fiance went to Queens. Both good schools and you can go wrong to pick the prpgram you like thw most.

I'll echo the others - pick the school and program that interests you the most, then just work at getting good grades. There's no point really in basing your choice on getting into med school down the road as 1) the program doesn't matter one bit in Canada, and 2) who knows whether you'll still be wanting to do med in 3-4 years?

Archived