Premed 101 Forums

I know this thread has been done elsewhere and in the past, but I'm not sure what the computer needs are for starting med students at UBC this year. I'm looking to replace my current laptop, which has served me well for 4 years, but has no battery life remaining. If anyone is in second year, could you help me out a bit?

1. Are notes in printed for us? If not, what format are they in? Pdf, ppt, etc...

2. Will we ever need any software in addition to an office suite?

3. Do you ever bring your laptop to class?

4. Are there outlets in class?

Thanks!

I know this thread has been done elsewhere and in the past, but I'm not sure what the computer needs are for starting med students at UBC this year. I'm looking to replace my current laptop, which has served me well for 4 years, but has no battery life remaining. If anyone is in second year, could you help me out a bit?

1. Are notes in printed for us? If not, what format are they in? Pdf, ppt, etc...

2. Will we ever need any software in addition to an office suite?

3. Do you ever bring your laptop to class?

4. Are there outlets in class?

Thanks!

Not a second year, but...

1. Yes we should get printouts of lectures in our mailboxes. Not sure about format, or if we get an electronic version..

2. Not sure about this. I would wager a guess and so no... But that is just speculation.

3. I know people that do, and if you look at the various pictures on the website you'll see people with laptops in the lecture halls.

4. I believe there are outlets, as well as a few other electronic pieces of equipment (microphones) for asking questions so that the distributed sites can hear and also for the IT team to record the lecture for online viewing.

Hey, you are going to receive a stapled package of notes in your mailboxes weekly, on Fridays, for the upcoming week. The package will usually most of the lectures, but may miss a few. They will be either written handouts (like a "textbook" format, or 4 slides per page, reflecting what the prof gives in lecture. As I said, sometimes one or two or more lectures are missing from the package, and you will have to find them on Medicol (a website on http://www.vista.ubc.ca that you will soon have access to). Sometimes it is annoying to find those lecture slides because either they aren't posted, or posted very late on the day of the lecture. But anyhow, on Medicol is where you will be able to find the majority of the lectures posted in PDF format (color, or black and white, or black and white and 4 slides per page). There will also be lecture recordings that you can view.

If you ever want to print stuff out there will be a free printer in the "Multipurpose lab" (MPL). You'll need your own paper supply though. The MPL also has 100+ 22inch computers that you can use in between classes.

I never typed notes in class and only a small handful of people do, about 20 people?). I found that it was usually just as good to have the lecture package of slides and make anecdotes on them. More efficient for studying also. If you ever miss anything, again, the lecture recordings are usually on Medicol.

Yes there are plenty of outlets in the lecture theatre, PBL rooms, hallways, bathrooms, etc. ;-) To ask questions in class, you have to press a microphone (which is within reach of where you sit), so that the other sites (IMP, etc) can hear the question.

Hope that helps.

PS: I think that if everything else works on your laptop except for the battery, you can probably save your money, because there are so many outlets, and if you are bringing your laptop to school just for studying purposes, then again (1) lecture slides are already posted, so you can study off those and (2) you don't need a fast computer to view PDFs, check emails, Medicol, etc. ;-) If you want to wait until you've settled into med and then decide, that would be cool too. :)

PPS: I am in second year...hehe.

I was thinking about getting a netbook to supplement my desktop. I had a laptop in undergrad but it was more of a 'desktop replacement'. Is it worth the trouble of syncing files back and forth everyday? I'll probably just take notes by hand and get an iPod touch for email/looking basic things up.

Syncing is made super easy with Dropbox (just google it :)) or another similar cloud sharing service. I had that setup with a netbook until it died, lol. Anyway, all of the services work pretty much the same. You install the software on both computers and it automatically synchronizes your files, folders, or whatever you choose across both computers. The files also get uploaded to their server, which means that you can then access the files from any other computer without any additional software (including an ipod touch).

The free accounts for these services give you a couple gigs of storage (2 gb for dropbox) and you can opt to purchase more. I only used Dropbox for my school documents, so I never went over the 2 gbs. One really awesome feature of Dropbox is that it also stores previous versions of files and allows you to recover deleted files.

Hopefully this helps with your decision.

I use sugarsync! Comes with 5 gb for free and an additional 500 mb for every friend you refer- i have something like 12 gb now. If you want to try Sugarsync too, let me know by messaging me and I can give you a link for download (you get an extra 500 mb with my link hehe). Both dropbox and sugarsync will align your files automatically.

For me personally it would be difficult to justify the cost of an itouch since it is quite similar to a good netbook, which might be able to accompany you when you study in the pbl rooms, or when you are in second year and there is no computer lab at Diamond Centre (only 10 computers in the library). But the itouch is smaller, more portable (in a way), and you can listen to music and play games. A lot of people play scrabble together...lol.

You definitely don't *need* a computer, but other things you could do on a computer would be reading articles for pbl, typing up papers, etc. But other than that, it's personal preference because I can't recall the last time I was dying to have a computer with me.

I have one and am typing this message with it right now. Using sugarsync or dropbox, I have synced my lecture slides and everything so that they are all accessible online. It doesn't eat up the 16 gigs on my device.

A couple people I know are using ipad and some app such as Good Reader to take notes directly on the PDFs in lectures. Haven't done that myself, but seems pretty useful. It also has a camera that you can take pictures in lecture in case some lecture slides aren't going to be posted. And using an app or whatever, you can make notes directly on the pictures also. I haven't used it for reading, but because many textbooks in first year are available as pdfs, you can read and write on them on your ipad also. I can type with close to the same accuracy and speed as on a regular keyboard and definitely as fast as a netbook keyboard. This will be something you just get used to.

There are apps for Microsoft Office or something similar. It can browse the web, surf the internet, get instantaneous email notifications, etc. All in all, if you're a tech saavy person, you can make the ipad work like a portable computer.

I don't work for apple by the way. ;-)

I have one and am typing this message with it right now. Using sugarsync or dropbox, I have synced my lecture slides and everything so that they are all accessible online. It doesn't eat up the 16 gigs on my device.

A couple people I know are using ipad and some app such as Good Reader to take notes directly on the PDFs in lectures. Haven't done that myself, but seems pretty useful. It also has a camera that you can take pictures in lecture in case some lecture slides aren't going to be posted. And using an app or whatever, you can make notes directly on the pictures also. I haven't used it for reading, but because many textbooks in first year are available as pdfs, you can read and write on them on your ipad also. I can type with close to the same accuracy and speed as on a regular keyboard and definitely as fast as a netbook keyboard. This will be something you just get used to.

There are apps for Microsoft Office or something similar. It can browse the web, surf the internet, get instantaneous email notifications, etc. All in all, if you're a tech saavy person, you can make the ipad work like a portable computer.

I don't work for apple by the way. ;-)

Excellent. An excuse to go deeper into my line of credit :)

• 11 months later...

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone who's finishing up 1st year has an update about this.

1. Are the weekly handout packages complete or are they still missing a few lectures?
  2. Are all lecture handouts posted online before the lecture? (if not, a rough % would be helpful)
  3. What is your opinion on tablets/laptops for taking notes in medical school?

Bascially, I'm trying to decide if I should ditch paper/pen and opt for a digital solution. Thanks!

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I'm wondering if anyone who's finishing up 1st year has an update about this.

1. Are the weekly handout packages complete or are they still missing a few lectures?
  2. Are all lecture handouts posted online before the lecture? (if not, a rough % would be helpful)
  3. What is your opinion on tablets/laptops for taking notes in medical school?

Bascially, I'm trying to decide if I should ditch paper/pen and opt for a digital solution. Thanks!

1. 1st term the notes packages are complete; 2nd term not usually. In 2nd term ya might be missin half or more of all lectures that week.

2. Usually, bout 90%.

3. Not necessary.

Archived