Premed 101 Forums

OChem: Ring Strain

numero0121407

Hey guys,

I am confused about something here. I know that the most strained is cyclopropane, and the no strain one is cyclohexane.

EK book says that cyclohexane is zero strain, anything above or below 6 the strain increases, up till 9C, then the trend reverses and the strain starts to decrease.

I read online that anything with 14C or greater has the next lowest ring strain after cyclohexane or something along these lines.

I would appreciate some confirmation/clearification.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I am confused about something here. I know that the most strained is cyclopropane, and the no strain one is cyclohexane.

EK book says that cyclohexane is zero strain, anything above or below 6 the strain increases, up till 9C, then the trend reverses and the strain starts to decrease.

I read online that anything with 14C or greater has the next lowest ring strain after cyclohexane or something along these lines.

I would appreciate some confirmation/clearification.

Thanks!

follow EK's guide. i highly doubt you will need to know the precise order, especially for cycloalkanes >14...

but just know that ring strain arises from the deviation of angles from the tetrahedral angles (109.5).... hope that helps

Archived