Premed 101 Forums

Queens = 3 full courses? Do 2 courses per year get dropped?

Pretty much what the title says. Since Queen's considers full time to be 3 FCEs does that mean that for someone whose taken 5 FCE each year, 2FCEs or 4 courses will get dropped each year(the lowest ones I'm assuming) when calculating the 2 year average?

If that were the case, I imagine most people will have 3.9+ GPAs.... so probably not.

Pretty much what the title says. Since Queen's considers full time to be 3 FCEs does that mean that for someone whose taken 5 FCE each year, 2FCEs or 4 courses will get dropped each year(the lowest ones I'm assuming) when calculating the 2 year average?

You posted this in multiple places. I wrote this answer to your other post:

Nope, they look at everything. Also they don't look at the best 2 years, they look at the LAST 2 years. So technically, this could be 6 full courses (3 in each of the last 2 years).

I would be very careful with this rule though. It would be a VERY bad idea to take a limited courseload specifically to take advantage of this rule. Not only would you make yourself ineligible at many other schools, Queen's changed their admissions criteria substantially this last year and may do so again.

Also note that Queen's does require you to have completed 15 credits by June 30 of the year you would begin.

You posted this in multiple places. I wrote this answer to your other post:

Nope, they look at everything. Also they don't look at the best 2 years, they look at the LAST 2 years. So technically, this could be 6 full courses (3 in each of the last 2 years).

I would be very careful with this rule though. It would be a VERY bad idea to take a limited courseload specifically to take advantage of this rule. Not only would you make yourself ineligible at many other schools, Queen's changed their admissions criteria substantially this last year and may do so again.

Also note that Queen's does require you to have completed 15 credits by June 30 of the year you would begin.

So basically what you're saying is despite the fact that they consider full time to be 3 FCEs, if someone takes 5 FCEs per year Queen's calculates the average with all 5?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey simpy, say for example theres a student who is applying in 4th year of undergrad, Queen's will look at his gpa or his gpa in the last 2 years (yrs 2 and 3) correct?

so I know for U of T Medicine they clearly state the expect a minimum of 3 300 level courses in year 3, does the same apply for Queen's?

Like for example, will Queen's medicine have an issue if you are taking 2- 2nd year courses and 3- 1st year courses in year 2?

essentially, do they care about what year courses you are taking in 2nd and 3rd year of your undergrad as long it shows that you are intending to complete your degree on time and with itent (a reason for taking lower year courses)?

Thank you so much.

As far as I know, Queen's doesn't care about the level of courses that you are taking. But to be sure, I would suggest e-mailing them or going over the academic requirement section of the website in detail.

Archived