Premed 101 Forums

a bit of fun with AQ assessment predictions

So it seems like UBC is revealing more about the assessment process as we close in on June 1st.

On the website, they state that they are still currently reviewing pre-interview criteria and it's fun to speculate how they're going to do it this year. Judging from the way they have worded things, it sounds like they'll be sharing the details with the public this year.

So what do you guys think this will look like?

I'm going to predict something like this: Assuming that NAQ makes up 50% of an applicant's pre-interview profile, AQ will look something like this:

25% oGPA (which will include a 30-credit drop where applicable)

15% MCAT (with the formula emphasizing VR, BS, and WS sections)

10% prerequisite courses

So it seems like UBC is revealing more about the assessment process as we close in on June 1st.

On the website, they state that they are still currently reviewing pre-interview criteria and it's fun to speculate how they're going to do it this year. Judging from the way they have worded things, it sounds like they'll be sharing the details with the public this year.

So what do you guys think this will look like?

I'm going to predict something like this: Assuming that NAQ makes up 50% of an applicant's pre-interview profile, AQ will look something like this:

25% oGPA (which will include a 30-credit drop where applicable)

15% MCAT (with the formula emphasizing VR, BS, and WS sections)

10% prerequisite courses

I think that this prediction would work favourably for me. But I am with Serena - speculation makes me crazy! I really hope they update the pre-interview weighting soon. Like before June 1st. Not that it would make much of a difference, but it would be nice to know.

I highly doubt mcat will worth more than pre-req. I have a feeling that pre-req will remain as a flag and a high mcat score can compensate a low pre-req score, that's it. Removal of last 60 credits and 10 year rule will be compensated by the lowest gpa year removal. What I'm more concerned about is the AQ scale - if 92% will remain as the cutoff for max score. Doing so is de-emphasizing the importance of NAQ since applicants with max AQ only need something like 3 NAQ to get an interview, which is ridiculous.

I highly doubt mcat will worth more than pre-req. I have a feeling that pre-req will remain as a flag and a high mcat score can compensate a low pre-req score, that's it. Removal of last 60 credits and 10 year rule will be compensated by the lowest gpa year removal. What I'm more concerned about is the AQ scale - if 92% will remain as the cutoff for max score. Doing so is de-emphasizing the importance of NAQ since applicants with max AQ only need something like 3 NAQ to get an interview, which is ridiculous.

While on the topic of predictions, what do you think the word/character limit would be for the new application system?? The current OAS is going offline this Sept!

Archived