Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Citizens Studying Abroad

Hey all,

I just have a question about Canadian medical students studying abroad. My question is in 2010 approximately 1800 IMG students applied for matching in canada (CaRMS) (from the stats I've seen), how many of these students are Canadian citizens?

Also, since there is a 80% chance that you will not be matched in your first attempt in Canada, does anyone know if your chance increases on your 2nd, 3rd, etc. attempt??

Thanks!

SK1124 whether or not you are a citizen does not matter as the minimal criteria for matching as an IMG is a Canadian Permanent Resident. Having said that, if you take a closer look at the carms break down of IMGs it says that recent grads have a 50 percent match rates vs IMGs who have graduated some time ago. This should answer your question about subsequent matches and which pool the CSAs fall under. Hope this helps.

thanks,

I guess the reason for my question was because the carms website said approx 180 out of the 380 IMGs who got matches were Canadian citizens. Thus, I was naturally curious as to how many of the 1800 IMG applicants had canadian citizens. This is because I wanted to see if there was a bias in any way that would increase my chances over other non citizen students. For ex. if only 500 were canadian citizens then 180/500 isnt that bad...

thanks,

I guess the reason for my question was because the carms website said approx 180 out of the 380 IMGs who got matches were Canadian citizens. Thus, I was naturally curious as to how many of the 1800 IMG applicants had canadian citizens. This is because I wanted to see if there was a bias in any way that would increase my chances over other non citizen students. For ex. if only 500 were canadian citizens then 180/500 isnt that bad...

Only canadian citizens/permanent residents may apply for the match.

As Leviathan pointed out above, all applicants to Canadian residency programs MUST be Canadian citizens / permanent residents. (The only exception is Gulf State-sponsored students, irrelevant to the question, and mentioned only for completeness' sake).

In the 2011 match, there were 1920 IMG participating applicants. 380 matched (over both rounds). Interestingly, 2232 IMGs originally registered for first-round CaRMS, but a number of these withdrew / were inactive.

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/1_Summary%20of%20Match%20Results%20R1%201st_2nd%20Combined_en.pdf

http://carms.ca/pdfs/2011R1_MatchResults/2_Applicant%20Pool%20by%20Medical%20School_en.pdf

So I see where you're getting the 380 from, but where did you see 180? Can you post your link?

Archived