Premed 101 Forums

My last year of High school

Hello, I was wondering about my options for being able to apply to med school. I had screwed up my grade 12 year and right now I have 2 options

1. Re up my Top 6 [Eng, Bio, Chem, Phys, Functions, Calc + vectors]

2. Take a College to University Tansfer in Microbiology (Centennial to UTSC or Ryerson

Would doing a University transfer hurt my chances of applying?

Is my best bet to Upgrade my courses?

Do I have any other options?

Tims is not a factor I dont care if I get in one or 2 years later than someone my age this has always been a dream of mine and I don't want to give up on it even though I had 1 bad year.

Thanks in Advance, Josh

Slightly confused here... are your grades low enough that you can't get accepted at university? If so, re-take or do whatever you need to get accepted into university, do your undergrad and then apply to med school.

If you have been accepted into university and are just concerned what med schools may think about your highschool grades, take a deep breath. They do not look at HS transcripts. You are fine :)

Doing a transfer from college to university won't hurt your chances at all. However, consider the following when deciding.

High school

Pros: no fees, already know the school, teacher, system... therefore can attain higher marks and thus have a higer entrance scholarship.

Cons: taking a course second time is much easier, may make you lazy, shock in university...

Transfering from colelge to university

Pros: the course will be more difficult and will prepare you better for university, slightly accustomed to university style... most of the people that i know who went to college easily transitioned to university. however the same is not true for people who spent an extra year in high school.

Cons: will have to pay fees.

Doing a transfer from college to university won't hurt your chances at all. However, consider the following when deciding.

High school

Pros: no fees, already know the school, teacher, system... therefore can attain higher marks and thus have a higher entrance scholarship.

Cons: taking a course second time is much easier, may make you lazy, shock in university...

Transferring from college to university

Pros: the course will be more difficult and will prepare you better for university, slightly accustomed to university style... most of the people that i know who went to college easily transitioned to university. however the same is not true for people who spent an extra year in high school.

Cons: will have to pay fees.

The reason I would need to go back to high school is because I only had some of the required courses I needed to get in to university for a "backup" plan.

I was told by my guidance counselor about what I needed to do in University (to do a course that I would excel in [4.0gpa] I have interest in Physics & Astronomy) BUT I would like to have more of a background in Life Sciences. Which is why I was looking for a University Transfer in life sciences (Microbiology)

[side note: with a B.Sc Applied Microbiology could I Master in Immunology/Virology]

if you couldn't get a 75 average in grade 12 then there's no way you're gonna get a good enough average in university to get into medicine,

sorry but medical school is only for smart people

So then I guess you're not planning on going to University? LOTS of people on this board sh!t the bed in high school for one reason or another and then killed it in University.

You should have a clue before giving a clue. It's just good manners.

So then I guess you're not planning on going to University? LOTS of people on this board sh!t the bed in high school for one reason or another and then killed it in University.

Well most people who didn't do well in highschool or who didn't do well in grades 9-11 and only did well in grade 12 will not have the motivation to do well in university.

And people on this board are usually the special cases.

Well most people who didn't do well in highschool or who didn't do well in grades 9-11 and only did well in grade 12 will not have the motivation to do well in university.

And people on this board are usually the special cases.

High School and University are vastly different. In fact, I contend the people I knew in High School who did the best were some of the worst students in University because they didn't learn HOW to study but rather relied on their methods from High School which for most is average at best.

Those people on this board being special cases... it took them some time to figure out they were special cases. In other words, they FOUND the motivation they were missing in High School.

Don't take the negative comments posted here to heart. Getting good grades is just a measure of how much effort you put into school work and how well you can perform on their given testing methods. You can do anything if you set your mind to it.

But as for your dilemma, i would SERIOUSLY try to get into any university right now. The college to university transfer is your best 2nd bet but you don't have to apply to the life science program. Just apply to something like english or whatever you have the prereqs for and then once you're IN the university, switch. I know many ppl that came to university for the humanities but EVEN in their first year they switched to science for pre-med. It's not unheard of and nobody cares. University doesn't. But i'm only speaking of utsg. I don't know how strict other schools are on the courses you're supposed to take. But college to university transfer, as said, is a the best option considering the straight path uni plan doesn't fall through. Doing highschool again is a waste of time...

hey op

**** all these people who are saying that you can't do it. you can do it; i know it and you do too

Thank you both. :)

High School and University are vastly different. In fact, I contend the people I knew in High School who did the best were some of the worst students in University because they didn't learn HOW to study but rather relied on their methods from High School which for most is average at best.

Those people on this board being special cases... it took them some time to figure out they were special cases. In other words, they FOUND the motivation they were missing in High School.

I had to have a full time job in grade 12 I really never decided until the decision was late. Doing homework late at night and barely making it to school on time and having no life because of the situation I was in luckily I have it sorted out now. I am fully capable of doing well in university it's now down to 2 options. I can live where I am for free to upgrade my top 6 (so I can't apply for a winter semester) or Go with the Transfer Program. I wanted some insight from people who might have been in the same situation I am in.

Don't take the negative comments posted here to heart. Getting good grades is just a measure of how much effort you put into school work and how well you can perform on their given testing methods. You can do anything if you set your mind to it.

But as for your dilemma, i would SERIOUSLY try to get into any university right now. The college to university transfer is your best 2nd bet but you don't have to apply to the life science program. Just apply to something like english or whatever you have the prereqs for and then once you're IN the university, switch. I know many ppl that came to university for the humanities but EVEN in their first year they switched to science for pre-med. It's not unheard of and nobody cares. University doesn't. But i'm only speaking of utsg. I don't know how strict other schools are on the courses you're supposed to take. But college to university transfer, as said, is a the best option considering the straight path uni plan doesn't fall through. Doing highschool again is a waste of time...

If I take a year of doing something that I have no interest in I don't want to spend money for a year to start a new Degree. If I go back I can get a 85%-90%+ to apply to UofT for any program I will want to have more background for applying for Med school. With the B.Sc Applied Microbiology I would be at college for 2 years and UTSC for 2 years and I can start in September plus I have friends in Toronto that I can live with.

You can do it. I personally know a friend who was scoring the 60s in throughout highschool. Destroyed grade 12 with an 95 average. Went to university, and starting slacking and had a 2.5 GPA in first year. Got the desire to do medicine and pwned every year -- had a 3.8 GPA when he applied to med (dropping worst year). And guess what? He's in medical school.

if you couldn't get a 75 average in grade 12 then there's no way you're gonna get a good enough average in university to get into medicine,

sorry but medical school is only for smart people

LOL! Take it easy killer, you're talking to a med. hopeful who you've probably got quite a few years on in terms of age. Try being a bit more supportive.

Dear student,

I'm no success story yet, however I had a mid 70 average in high school. I had a complete 360 upon acceptance into university and I was able to obtain grades in the 90th percentile throughout my undergraduate degree thus far. All I'll say because I don't want to be looked upon by this forum as cocky or boastful, is that if you have an immense amount of intrinsic motivation and are willing to put in the time and huge effort into developing a competitive medical school application.... you can do it.

I can guarantee that medical students were not born with this innate knowledge that gained them an acceptance, they had to work their butt's off. Now while a lot may have had this work ethic developed in high school, it doesn't mean you can't develop it in university.

The above is meant to be supportive and tell you that you can most definitely "do it", however it by no means takes away from how hard this challenge is. It is truly an uphill battle. Regardless, at the end of the day if the genius next to you has to work 1/2 as hard as you to get high grades, then you'll have to want medical school twice as badly as he does and wreck him. Beating a "genius" through hard work is the most satisfactory feeling in my opinion.

Best of luck.

Hi OP,

You have years ahead of you to work to make your dreams come true. All those people above who told you that high school marks and university marks do not necessarily reflect each other, are completely right. The most important thing for you to do is establish a good work ethic and figure out how you study best.

Personally, in your case, I think the college to university transfer would be most beneficial because you can try to figure out which study habits work for you and such during the year (or two?) of college and then you can hit your uni degree well-prepared and confident. Doing the high school courses again might be a bit bland, no?

Anyways, keep striving. You don't have to be a genius to get into med school, you just have to want it enough to work to your fullest potential. :)

OP - nothing you do in high school can screw up your chances of getting into med school. (Well, at least nothing you do academically - committing murder or something might.) I haven't been in your exact situation, but I did just get into med school with a 3.0 undergrad GPA and all kinds of people telling me it would never happen. You still have your whole university career ahead of you. It's a clean slate. Good luck! :)

Archived