Premed 101 Forums

Question about my repeated course...

Hey I just had a question after reading some things online...

I'm currently a student at UWO going into my fourth and final year. During my second year, I got a mark in the 50s which would have prevented me from graduating with an honours degree, so I retook the course in third year.

My GPA was around 3.5 in first year, 2.5 in second year (I did really horrible), and in third year my GPA was 3.62.

Now my dilemma is that I only took 5.0 credits in my third year, with my repeated course being 0.5 of that 5.0. Would I be correct in saying that I cannot use my third year for application? :(

If so, how are my chances of actually getting into a medical school either in Canada or the States?

Thanks a lot!

I can't comment on your chances in the States, but for Canada I really don't think you'll be competitive with that GPA. Have you thought about doing a second degree or getting your masters and then applying? Have you written the MCAT, what about ECs?

Since your 3rd year GPA is 3.62 I don't think it's useful for any med school in Canada anyways. Maybe doing a 5th year is the best option (and acing the MCAT as well).

+1

If you (i.e. the OP) are interested in applying to the states, try posting your stats in forum for US admissions or checking out the student doctor forums and posting your stats there. The readership is quite large and you will most likely get a quick response.

Hey I just had a question after reading some things online...

I'm currently a student at UWO going into my fourth and final year. During my second year, I got a mark in the 50s which would have prevented me from graduating with an honours degree, so I retook the course in third year.

My GPA was around 3.5 in first year, 2.5 in second year (I did really horrible), and in third year my GPA was 3.62.

Now my dilemma is that I only took 5.0 credits in my third year, with my repeated course being 0.5 of that 5.0. Would I be correct in saying that I cannot use my third year for application? :(

If so, how are my chances of actually getting into a medical school either in Canada or the States?

Thanks a lot!

Your gpa is also on the low side for the US. US schools take every year into account when calculating your gpa. Even if you get a 35 on the MCAT, with a 3.2, you're chances are very low.

Archived