Premed 101 Forums

what do you think of how med school acceptances are handled in Ontario?

Just wondering what everyone's take is on the way its going this cycle? I have nothing against the elimination of conditional acceptances because it makes life easier for the schools and those on the WL. However I still feel there must be a much better way of handling the process. For example having all WLs start moving at the same time, with a longer response period that overlaps with subsequent rounds of offers? I guess its true that its impossible to please everyone and schools don't want to make things overly complicated.

This is a very interesting question.

I like that the Ontario results came out earlier this year. That was nice. If the med schools do want to wait until exams are over, I think May 5th is a good day. I don't know if any Canadian universities go later than the first week of May, but I think it would be nice to have all the provinces release their results on the same day. It would just make life easier for people and result in less lost deposits. Those lucky enough to get into schools in different provinces often have get used to the idea they will be living in one city and then have to switch gears when they hear later about other provinces. Although, I don't have too much sympathy for them considering they have their choice of medical schools.

What about a centralized offer system, like Solus at Queen's but without the giant amounts of confusion? The simpler the better. Then the moment someone registers in one program they can be removed from other programs and the waitlists can automatically move.

Just wondering what everyone's take is on the way its going this cycle? I have nothing against the elimination of conditional acceptances because it makes life easier for the schools and those on the WL. However I still feel there must be a much better way of handling the process. For example having all WLs start moving at the same time, with a longer response period that overlaps with subsequent rounds of offers? I guess its true that its impossible to please everyone and schools don't want to make things overly complicated.

Hey EBDOC! Are you saying conditional acceptances were eliminated for this cycle?

Archived