Premed 101 Forums

Choosing Academies

I think one good thing about PB is that you can live in north york, where rent or condo/house prices are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than downtown. Sunnybrook is also nestled in a very green area, which some people may prefer to tall rises and such.

On the other hand, if you really like downtown, Fitz is probably located in the most vibrant part of the city (compared to WB or PB). St. Michael's is RIGHT NEXT to the eaton centre, dundas square, and yonge street. The financial district is right to the south. The shopping and culture there is amazing. As the above poster said, Fitz is also the smallest, so tight knit. St. Michael's has also been building a brand new research centre, which looks great. I assume this is where the academy is rooted.

WB is convenient in that it's the closest to the university, which can be a good thing or bad thing (e.g. if you want a change of scenary or not). It's associated with the University Health Network which has great resources. I think ultimately you can't make a wrong choice with any of the three academies :)

Disclaimer: I'm not a current student. This is based on being at U of T undergrad for 4 years, a summer of research at St. Michael's, and friends in U of T med. I talked about Fitz the most since I know St. Mike's pretty well.

On the other hand, if you really like downtown, Fitz is probably located in the most vibrant part of the city (compared to WB or PB).

For the non-Torontonians, perhaps "vibrant" could be a bit misleading. I'm sure Fitz and St. Mike's are great, but the neighborhood is a bit sketchy to live in. I wouldn't buy/rent a place there if I was at Fitz, but that's just me (I would look for a place a little more North-West of St. Mike's - still within 15 min walking distance to St. Mike's and closer to MSB).

I think one good thing about PB is that you can live in north york, where rent or condo/house prices are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than downtown. Sunnybrook is also nestled in a very green area, which some people may prefer to tall rises and such.

On the other hand, if you really like downtown, Fitz is probably located in the most vibrant part of the city (compared to WB or PB). St. Michael's is RIGHT NEXT to the eaton centre, dundas square, and yonge street. The financial district is right to the south. The shopping and culture there is amazing. As the above poster said, Fitz is also the smallest, so tight knit. St. Michael's has also been building a brand new research centre, which looks great. I assume this is where the academy is rooted.

WB is convenient in that it's the closest to the university, which can be a good thing or bad thing (e.g. if you want a change of scenary or not). It's associated with the University Health Network which has great resources. I think ultimately you can't make a wrong choice with any of the three academies :)

Disclaimer: I'm not a current student. This is based on being at U of T undergrad for 4 years, a summer of research at St. Michael's, and friends in U of T med. I talked about Fitz the most since I know St. Mike's pretty well.

I personally wouldn't call teh area around SMH "vibrant", rather I'd call Yonge Dundas area a "zoo" of people at any hour of the day and chock full of chain stores/restaurants and strip joints which IMO don't scream anything attractive. I abohr walking through Yonge Dundas Square area.

UHN hospitals are a stone's throw from Little Italy, Baldwin St., and Kensington Market which I'd be more inclined to call "vibrant", charming and unique.

My $0.02.

Yeah I'll give it to you, the area east of St. Mike's can be sketchy so don't rent there. I've often been surprised how drastically the scenary changes from its east to west side.

Little italy is actually QUITE far from the majority of UHN hospitals, at least 30-40 min walking (with the exception of Toronto Western). I've personally never really liked Kesington market area, as I've always found it quite old and a bit rundown. Maybe I'm not cultured enough lol? Also I'd take Queen's street over Baldwin anyday (although I do love baldwin as well)! I guess we shouldn't try to define "vibrant" as it differs for different people (case in point). As I said you can't make a wrong choice with the academies :)

I personally wouldn't call teh area around SMH "vibrant", rather I'd call Yonge Dundas area a "zoo" of people at any hour of the day and chock full of chain stores/restaurants and strip joints which IMO don't scream anything attractive. I abohr walking through Yonge Dundas Square area.

UHN hospitals are a stone's throw from Little Italy, Baldwin St., and Kensington Market which I'd be more inclined to call "vibrant", charming and unique.

My $0.02.

Archived