Premed 101 Forums

admission question

Hi,

I had a question regarding the fact that you need at least 3/5 of you courses to be at 300 level or higher.

I have already graduated and my best two years are 3rd and 4th but only my 4th year meets the above criteria. Does this mean I'm ineligible to apply.

Would I need to do a special year that meets 3/5 rule.

If you've clearly assessed your courses and you find that your 3rd year doesn't meet that requirement, then I would think you have no choice but to do a special year to make it up.

However, I'm sure rmorelan or any other UWO students here could clarify things for you if you ask them about your specific courses. A slower, but even more certain source of info would be the admissions office. They've always answered my questions, albeit weeks later.

Hope all goes well in this regard for you.

Hi,

I had a question regarding the fact that you need at least 3/5 of you courses to be at 300 level or higher.

I have already graduated and my best two years are 3rd and 4th but only my 4th year meets the above criteria. Does this mean I'm ineligible to apply.

I believe you must do a special year. And with the special year - there are further requirements/restrictions. Make sure you look through admission requirements/FAQ to figure out those requirements as well.

Hi,

You do have to have two years that meet that rule unfortunately to get accepted into the program. If you want you can private message me and we can go over some of the options - in particularly you can apply while completing your special year and of course that year has some particular requirements you don't want to miss!

Hi,

Hey! All of your courses in the special year have to be 2nd year and above and have a prerequisite (i.e. You can't take bird courses like astro and sex psych lol) and you can't take third or fourth year classes which don't have a pre-req either. And you have to meet the 3/5 requirement as well. Hope this helps! All of this info is in the omsas guide under western's section in case you want to read the exact wording for yourself. Hope this helps! :)

Hey! All of your courses in the special year have to be 2nd year and above and have a prerequisite (i.e. You can't take bird courses like astro and sex psych lol) and you can't take third or fourth year classes which don't have a pre-req either. And you have to meet the 3/5 requirement as well. Hope this helps! All of this info is in the omsas guide under western's section in case you want to read the exact wording for yourself. Hope this helps! :)

Sorry Jolly Rancher, I'm gonna have to disagree with the information you provided. The following is from the Schulich website:

A special year will only be considered if it contains five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) taken between September and April. First-year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year. (Revised and approved by the Medicine Admissions Committee, May 2008)

Meaning, you are able to take 3rd and 4th year courses which do not require pre-reqs (although these types of courses are rare to begin with) and the 3/5 rule DOES NOT APPLY to a special year at UWO. I know this last piece of information for sure because I asked Pam personally. Cheers.

P.S. I just finished a special year for this years application cycle. Note that the requirements I mentioned only apply to a 'special year' (if you've graduated already) not a fifth year within your degree. If you have not graduated yet then you just have to meet the 3/5 requirement, but just make sure you don't screw things up for your degree (e.g. taking too many first year courses), but I'm sure you know this already!!

from the website (I think the wording doesn't exclude 3rd or 4th year courses which don't have prereqs - I guess those are generally pretty rare in any case :) )

"First-year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year. (Revised and approved by the Medicine Admissions Committee, May 2008)"

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/index.php?page=interviewFAQ#FAQ_13

similarly wording in the OMSAS manual I believe. Can't imagine that would be a big problem though (?)

Sorry Jolly Rancher, I'm gonna have to disagree with the information you provided. The following is from the Schulich website:

A special year will only be considered if it contains five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) taken between September and April. First-year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year. (Revised and approved by the Medicine Admissions Committee, May 2008)

Meaning, you are able to take 3rd and 4th year courses which do not require pre-reqs (although these types of courses are rare to begin with) and the 3/5 rule DOES NOT APPLY to a special year at UWO. I know this last piece of information for sure because I asked Pam personally. Cheers.

Hey Jedi, actually I asked Ms Kennard at admissions before I registered this year and have sent emails back and forth prior to starting the past academic year. To be safe I'd stick to what Schulich has in writing. Better safe than sorry (in my opinion!). Maybe the special year reqs for next year are diff?

Hey Jedi, actually I asked Ms Kennard at admissions before I registered this year and have sent emails back and forth prior to starting the past academic year. To be safe I'd stick to what Schulich has in writing. Better safe than sorry (in my opinion!). Maybe the special year reqs for next year are diff?

I also did a special year for this cycle (I graduated last year), the only thing that freaked me out a little about what you said earlier is that the 3/5 rule applies to a special year. From what I've been told it does not. Regardless, if Im lucky enough to get in, I have in writing from Pam herself that the 3/5 rule does not apply in my case. I'm happy with that :)

Maybe! The new OMSAS manual is coming out in a month or so - for now both the OMSAS manual and website are in sync and generally those are firm guidelines (we don't go out of our way to hide the rules :) ).

If it does change then it will just go to show the limitations on relying on admissions rules remaining fixed I guess. Definitely a changing landscape out there!

Rmorlean, you're right actually- I had looked into this a long time ago! I think I just made sure everything had a pre-req since this special year was my last chance! Plus there really weren't many 3rd/4th yr classes without a pre-req, so maybe at the time that hadn't come up! Good call :)

Rmorlean, you're right actually- I had looked into this a long time ago! I think I just made sure everything had a pre-req since this special year was my last chance! Plus there really weren't many 3rd/4th yr classes without a pre-req, so maybe at the time that hadn't come up! Good call :)

again no worries :) Hope that year will work out for you!

Archived