Premed 101 Forums

Living in Kingston

I feel the need to defend the honour of NOP (North of Princess). My wife and I bought a house there, at Patrick and John, when I started med school two years ago. The area definitely has some parts which are "run down" and maybe even a little bit sketchy, but I would never tell anyone that the neighbourhood is unsafe. My wife and I have both walked alone at night many many times in the past 2 years and have never had any problems. Our neighbours are great. There are lots of young families and kids in the area and I would actually consider it to be a really attractive, "up-and-coming" area for anyone considering buying a place rather than renting when they start at Queen's. Clergy and Queen is definitely not an unsafe area.

We actually bought a three bedroom house and have rented out the two extra rooms to two of my classmates. If you are a single person though, living in one of the Homestead or Keystone buildings downtown or on the water west of campus is a good option which the majority of my class chose. A few of us did buy property though. I believe at least one or two of my classmates live in condos west of campus and drive in to school.

I would be happy to answer any questions about living NOP or about the decision to buy rather than rent. It definitely isn't for everyone but I'm really happy that I did it.

Harrison - Queen's Medicine 2013

Archived