Premed 101 Forums

My Chances for American Med

I am a resident of Ontario. What are my chances for American Med Schools? My gpa is 3.36 and I still have to take the MCAT this summer. Considering I get a good competitive MCAT score, would I have any chance for at least the mid/low tier med schools.

Also, are there any American Med Schools that look at best 2 or 3 years?

Thanks.

3.36 is low for american MD schools

With a score of over 33, you might have a shot with the low tiers (Wayne, RFU etc)

All US schools look at your complete transcript (every course you have taken)

You might want to look up DO schools while applying to some low tier MD schools

I am a resident of Ontario. What are my chances for American Med Schools? My gpa is 3.36 and I still have to take the MCAT this summer. Considering I get a good competitive MCAT score, would I have any chance for at least the mid/low tier med schools.

Thanks.

I hate to say it, but... with a cGPA of 3.36.. it's pretty much game over for MD schools. Even with a 33+, or even 35 MCAT, your GPA will hurt you bad (especially coupled to your being a Canadian, and I'm assuming no US citizenship/permanent residence status). I believe there's 1 exception to that rule this year, someone on this forum got in with a 3.3ish and mid 30s MCAT, but that's the first time I've seen this happen on this forum since I started frequenting this site 4 years ago. Also, from all the Canadian stats I've seen over the years, that's the first time I've seen something like that happen... Anyways, I'd look into plan B - USDO schools - which are much more lenient with GPA. Also, DO schools are American medical schools.. so in that sense, you can still get what you want - an American medical education :)

For the American schools that "know" how Canadian higher-ed works (e.g. the Canadian 'friendly' U.S. M.D. schools), your low GPA might stand a chance if you had a knockout MCAT score (35+), and some shining extracurricular activities. Have you been involved (i.e. published) in research? Do you have some sort of unique angle that may help the admissions committees look deeper than your GPA?

Thanks.

Quick question: is that an "OMSAS" cGPA or AMCAS conversion? Sometimes if you put in your scores using the AMCAS conversion scale, it will go up a bit.

Schools generally like to see a GPA of at least 3.5+. 3.6+ is considered solid as is 33+ MCAT. Aim for a high MCAT to counter your lower end GPA. Get some real good clinical experience + life experience and apply broadly including DO schools

Archived