Premed 101 Forums

High tech medical exam cheats busted

Skim

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry but I am still missing the point. Mac wants to ensure that the applicant is actually responding, correct? Well, if the applicant responds on Mac premises, say as the last MMI station, answering the Casper questions, then Mac knows absolutely that a named applicant has answered Casper and in isolation. The keyboard signature than becomes irrelevant. That is why I said they would have devised a fool proof system (in other words, they would not then be ascertaining your signature, rather Mac would be witnessing in real time you answer Casper without any aid whatsoever).

They're not saying that CASPER will be conducted during the MMI. They're saying CASPER will be done just like it was last year. But there will be a station in the MMI where you will be exposed to a CASPER like situation for, say, 10 minutes. Then they will check whether your keystroke patterns during the MMI station corresponds to the CASPER you did at home pre-interview.

Needless to say, this will probably be ridiculously difficult to implement since keying styles will likely vary between situations.

They're not saying that CASPER will be conducted during the MMI. They're saying CASPER will be done just like it was last year. But there will be a station in the MMI where you will be exposed to a CASPER like situation for, say, 10 minutes. Then they will check whether your keystroke patterns during the MMI station corresponds to the CASPER you did at home pre-interview.

Needless to say, this will probably be ridiculously difficult to implement since keying styles will likely vary between situations.

True - or for people like me even the very keyboard can be different. I don't use a QWERTY keyboard, and my keyboard is split into two halves and augmented by speech recognition when I work. Good luck tracking that! and if you gave me a standard keyboard for the test I would be certainly be typing differently - a lot slower for one :)

I am not a big fan of any sort of system that is based on such assumptions. If you happen to injury your hand the day before the MMI it shouldn't have any impact on things :)

I am not a big fan of any sort of system that is based on such assumptions. If you happen to injury your hand the day before the MMI it shouldn't have any impact on things :)

Exactly. This system seems even worse than a polygraph, which is bad enough (and hence why they are ruled inadmissible in a court of law).

If everything is set up the way it sounds, then it seems like someone got too wrapped up in a sales pitch. Unless they have studies that have proven it to be effective, even in the common scenario's listed above. The other alternative is they aren't looking at the data at all, and just using it as a scare tactic.

• 1 month later...
Well well well...

Mac sure is fond of these hippy-dippy newfangled med school admissions methods. First MMI, now this CASPER crap?

How is this any better than the whole "admit smart people" way of doing things a few decades ago? Too many ethnic minorities now who work way harder than white Canadians?

Anyway, I think its all BS.

well you can flip it around - many other medical schools are using old dinosaur approaches to admissions that have been proven to be ineffective by actual science :)

Old arguments of course - the Mac's methods are argued a lot, which I find somewhat surprising because it is just one school (a lot of students of course but not radically more than Western or Ottawa and it is small than Toronto). Like it or not the MMI is certainly here to stay now. It is slowing consuming all of the other interview approaches up to the point where I am wondering how long it will be before it is used almost universally.

Well well well...

Mac sure is fond of these hippy-dippy newfangled med school admissions methods. First MMI, now this CASPER crap?

How is this any better than the whole "admit smart people" way of doing things a few decades ago? Too many ethnic minorities now who work way harder than white Canadians?

The MMI & Casper are excellent changes and they really work! Ethnic minorities work too and you apologize for your insensitive remark that will certainly be seen as racists by ethnic minorities and sensitive non minorities on this forum.

again, it's not racist, it's social-econimo-demographist, it's well known that certain ethnic minorities, not because of their race, but because of their social upbringing and environment, work harder, or encourage their children to work harder than multi-generational (usually ethno-european) children or parents.

if we cut the politically correct crap, you don't hear many white kids saying their parents will kill them if they don't do medicine/dentistry/law/other health related field in comparison to those of asian descent, if you look at the distribution of asian canadians in canada and compare that post secondary admission rates and admission to competitive programs like medicine you'll find that minorities are disproportionately represented compared to their percentage of the population in the area.

The MMI & Casper are excellent changes and they really work! Ethnic minorities work too and you apologize for your insensitive remark that will certainly be seen as racists by ethnic minorities and sensitive non minorities on this forum.

again, it's not racist, it's social-econimo-demographist, it's well known that certain ethnic minorities, not because of their race, but because of their social upbringing and environment, work harder, or encourage their children to work harder than multi-generational (usually ethno-european) children or parents.

if we cut the politically correct crap, you don't hear many white kids saying their parents will kill them if they don't do medicine/dentistry/law/other health related field in comparison to those of asian descent, if you look at the distribution of asian canadians in canada and compare that post secondary admission rates and admission to competitive programs like medicine you'll find that minorities are disproportionately represented compared to their percentage of the population in the area.

Yeah I think this is actually true - and I don't have a serious problem with it (except I hope the people pushed into this field still get into one they really enjoy. Otherwise it is setup for burn out etc 20 years later).

The prize is right there for everyone to strive for. If a group overall thrived harder and yet still matched the same that would actually indicate that the system is unfair. I guess our overall goal as a country is to constantly make sure everyone can strive for any profession, and remove any structural barriers in the way.

Well well well...

It's sad that in reality the goal is the exact opposite...

you never heard of affirmative action?

Yeah I think this is actually true - and I don't have a serious problem with it (except I hope the people pushed into this field still get into one they really enjoy. Otherwise it is setup for burn out etc 20 years later).

But, isn't that the problem in itself? Maybe this is just me being sceptical, rmorelan, but I highly doubt that the majority of people pushed into a certain field will enjoy it. Thus, increasing the amount of physicians undergoing burnout, which by your logic (if I understand your point correctly) will likely follow these individuals.

I very well might be incorrect (enlighten me if I am), but I know a few of these individuals who unfortunately would have been forced into medicine if they didn't have the guts to speak up to their parent(s). But, they ended up choosing a path they would enjoy and are much happier.

Archived