Premed 101 Forums

Chances for American Med

I am a resident of Ontario. What are my chances for American Med Schools? My gpa is 3.36 and I still have to take the MCAT this summer. Considering I get a good competitive MCAT score, would I have any chance for at least the mid/low tier med schools.

Also, are there any American Med Schools that look at best 2 or 3 years?

Thanks.

Why does everyone think us schools will take anyone? I know there are more of them and they are not as competitive as here but still. Its not some third world dump that needs the money its one of the top med graduate producing countries.

They don't check the stickies enough... That's what I think at least.

I think the Caribbean will take almost anyone...the thing with that though is coming back to practice that's the difficult part.

No one said it was a third-world dump. The States produces their fair share of top medical graduates and bottom medical graduates. You just need a brief glimpse of SDN and AMCAS stats to see that American med schools are not as competitive for Americans as Canadian schools are for Canadians.

From the impression that I have, it's not that American medical schools are worse than Canadian schools, it's just that they have a much greater range in the quality and competitiveness of their programs, whereas Canadian medical schools are more standardized across the country (or at least that's how Dr. Walker explained it at the U of C interview).

I know a guy who got into medical school in the states with a gpa of ~3.4, so you might stand a chance, depending on where you apply. The other thing I would look into is taking a D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) rather than an MD. From my understanding, DOs are becoming much more common in the US (particularly in family practice, primary care type medicine) and they tend to have lower requirements for acceptance than the MD programs.

And yes, there's always Caribbean med schools too.

Archived