Premed 101 Forums

Chem 1000 and 1001 @ YorkU

Guest Transparent

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever heard of http://www.ratemyprofessors.com ??? You're prob going to get a lot more answers there than here. I don't even go to YorkU and I found all of the professors you mentioned.

William Pietro

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=12434

Sylvie Morin

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=38018

Michael Hempstead

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=14685

You should visit that site for tips on which professors to chose. All the info is there already :)

From what I understand Hempstead is really easy! People said he just changes the numbers for his test questions from previous years, not sure if this is true though

His first test average was a 30 when I was taking the course. I doubt it would be that low if he uses the same questions. Plus they provide us with the past years tests.

Hi, I'm in the middle of course selection and preparation for first year at YorkU.

I heard chemistry is pretty brutal at YorkU. Would like to know, out of which of the following professors, which one would be the easiest/fairest? Which professor is the most knowledgeable and best at teaching?

William Pietro

Sylvie Morin

Michael Hempstead

I want to pull off an A+ (if not, an A at the least)

i hear such terrible things on all of them, ugh so confused lol. Guess its time to just pick at random.

the reason why you hear such terrible things about them is because they are profs of a first year weed out course... that many first years can't handle.

do your problem sets, read through the lectures, attend lectures, study for your tests, do your lab work and you'll put yourself in a position to do well (provided you actually know what you are doing).

oh and don't forget to ask questions.

the reason why you hear such terrible things about them is because they are profs of a first year weed out course... that many first years can't handle.

do your problem sets, read through the lectures, attend lectures, study for your tests, do your lab work and you'll put yourself in a position to do well (provided you actually know what you are doing).

oh and don't forget to ask questions.

+1

And, with that said, don't take on too much in your first year. Focus on your schoolwork (easier said than done when life gets in the way off things ;) ). Hking gave you some solid advice.

All the best :)

Hey, You mentioned that you went with Bill. I worked for him for a couple summers back in the day, he is a really great guy (and a great lecturer, of the uni's I have attended (York & McGill) he is among the best). He is fair and knows his stuff, you can't really ask for more. Sylvie was just starting when I had her for first year Chem, she was OK. She was weaker than many I had but again it was her first year as a prof, I am sure that she has improved with practice. You will like Bill's course, its great they have him teaching 1000/1001.

I just wanted to reassure you that you made a good choice.

EDIT:

Haha looks like I was a little late... What did you not like about the lecture?

lol same... is that allowed though?

and is Morin's tests easier then Hempstead's?/ hopefully someone on here who has had Morin can commentt

Yeah it's allowed I guess cos I do it all the time lol but if the class is full and you're taking up an actual students seat its kind of frowned upon lol.

Yeah it's allowed I guess cos I do it all the time lol but if the class is full and you're taking up an actual students seat its kind of frowned upon lol.

oohh ok i see. So you would enroll in the class in which your taking the tests in right? And say you're enrolled with Morin but you went to office hours with Pietro, if he found out you were just in his lectures, wouldn't that be a problem too, or would it not matter at all? lol sorry for all the Qs!

Yes...lol its a huge class, they aren't going to know if you're actually enrolled in it :P

Is Hempstead really that bad?? I'm taking 1000 with him, its the only 3 hour lecture section and I don't think I can tolerate going to chemistry class more than once a week.

lol I have no idea but on rmp (I don't know how accurate it is, if at all) he seems to be in between Morin and Pietro

And you're doing it in the summer now? I thought you were in your upper years, or did you just decide to do it later?

I took chem1000 F2010 and got an A+ :D, Here's my opinion (I had Dr. Morin Btw):

Pietro:

+ = Best lecturer without a doubt, you'll learn alot from him

- = Has hardest first test

Overall: His first test is brutal, but by the end of the course he gives the easiest test to balance the marks, also pretty good to prep. for exams

Morin:

+ = Gives consistent difficulty tests and is little more fair when it comes to marking

- = Worst lecturer from all the profs, PERIOD.

Overall: Pretty good person and ok overall, if you wana do well you need to read the textbook and possibly master it.

Hempstein:

+ = Fair tests from what I heard

- = Total jerk perhaps the biggest jerk from all the chem profs. You come 1 minute late to hand in something, he won't take it (from my experience when I tried resubmitting my tests to be regraded he didn't take it)

Overall: jerk duno about his lectures though and his marking quite unfair at times (He was the one who remarked our papers when resubmitted)

I would suggest Pietro as his lectures are the best, but his first test is BRUTAL and most people give up and don't feel like continuing. Good luck :D

oohh ok i see. So you would enroll in the class in which your taking the tests in right? And say you're enrolled with Morin but you went to office hours with Pietro, if he found out you were just in his lectures, wouldn't that be a problem too, or would it not matter at all? lol sorry for all the Qs!

I truly don't think it would matter, lol you're a student afterall. You're thinking way too into this haha. Also, for the Hastie comment, he teaches but not 1000. You can find him in 1001.

Archived