Premed 101 Forums

PKINs at York?

Hey guys, thought some of your Yorkies would have a thought as to my question so here goes.

Its looking more and more likely that i will habe to have knee surgery in July or August so im curious how that impacts my PKIN's in my first year?

Thanks in advance :)

You have a couple of options:

1) Don't take any pkins until say... 2nd semester? ... there is no requirement that you need to take one each semester - you can take them whenever so you can make that extra pkin either in another term or the summer. Additionally you can do them in the "pre-term period", which is essentially 4 days, 6 hours a day.

2) You take a pkin, but take the ones that don't require as much "vigorous" physical activity. Emergency care/First aid, maybe Tai Chi?

Either way, you can always talk about it with your instructor, they're usually pretty understanding of extenuating circumstances. A friend of mine tore his ACL a week before his final Swimming Pkin test and the prof said he can just complete the exam the next semester.

• 3 weeks later...
I would recommend taking a boatload of them in the summer time.

You can do that?

Do they habe to be done on campus? Can t person get credit for current activities that's part of their regular schedule? Example: i train 5 days a week and play hockey 1-2 times a week

Yeah you can take as many as you want in the summer as long as they fit your schedule.

I don't think you can just claim an activity as a PKIN... pkins also have a lot of "theory" involved in them so you have to go through the tests and whatnot.

Ahh well thats sucky lol

Good to know i can take them whenever tho!

Thanks guys!

Archived