Premed 101 Forums

Advice: Wedding in early august

Hi folks, I've got a question for the Aye-ayes or other previous students. I just got an invitation to a dear friend's wedding in England on the 7th of August. Can someone who has been through the first few weeks of med school advise if I will be able to take a few of the early days of class off to attend, and if so, how much should time should I be able to afford safely? And on which 'side' of the wedding (ie. before, after)?

Thanks for your advice.

You most certainly can! The first week or so is just intro lectures and really shouldn't be a big deal if you have to miss it. Plus pretty much every lecture is podcasted so you can catch up later. I would just make sure your small group knows you are missing and that your core group isn't super keen and tries to schedule core the first week. I would highly recommend you be back the end of the second week because it is O week part 2 with the naming ceremony being on the Friday and you don't want to miss it!!!

Let me know if you have any further questions.

You are going to have to have a look at the schedule. They have changed the attendance policy so that you can only miss 1 small groups (before it was 5 or 6). You might have to get special permission but they are really cracking down.

Last year in the first few weeks we had 1 small group week 1, 2 week 2, and then communications started by week 3 (100% mandatory). Ask if you can have a peak at the schedule before you book your flights and book accordingly.

Already trying to get out of class Erk? Wedding eh? Sounds made up to me. I mean no one ever gets married in England. I have been to at least 6 weddings now and none of them were in England. What are you really doing that weekend? Stripper party in Vegas? I'm on to you and soon Dr. Walker will be too.........(this is an excellent opportunity to offer me a bribe)

Pff, Vegas. it's not as if I've recently come into a substantial sum of money that isn't technically mine that I could gamble with or anything. Nor like I've had all time to develop a System, time that I would have otherwise spent helping people move.

Also I have it on good authority that people get married in England: I saw it on TV this one time. Well, on the internet, but it was like TV.

Archived