Premed 101 Forums

Using Analogies for Bio

kkentm

So my Kaplan book keeps using analogies for things like the skeletal, muscular and digestive systems. For example, it suggests thinking of everything as an office building where the skeleton and muscles are the systems of beams and concrete. Obviously this analogy goes into alot more detail but I am wondering whether this is an effective memorization tool or not. Can someone comment on whether I should try using the analogies provided by my book or instead just straight up memorize? Thanks

So my Kaplan book keeps using analogies for things like the skeletal, muscular and digestive systems. For example, it suggests thinking of everything as an office building where the skeleton and muscles are the systems of beams and concrete. Obviously this analogy goes into alot more detail but I am wondering whether this is an effective memorization tool or not. Can someone comment on whether I should try using the analogies provided by my book or instead just straight up memorize? Thanks

Your brain learns and retains new knowledge by making connections with prior knowledge that already exists in your head, like a building block. Before you can effectively memorize and understand the pathophysiology of something, you need to know the basic anatomy and physiology to be able to make those connections to what you already know.

What I'm getting at... lol is that analogies can help in A&P because the amount of information at times can be overwhelming. However, make sure you have a thorough understanding of it all because I'm sure no question on the MCAT will ask if either the muscles or skeletons are referred to as beams ;)

Well since you took Anatomy and Physiology, it may be lame to you. But there are people who haven't...so it might be helpful. Do what works for you.

Also, why don't you post on LL for anyone who wants to study in Hamilton...should be plenty of people around for some "collaboration"

i havent taken anatomy or physiology since i just finished my first year... and learnlink sounds like a good idea but im not on a serious hunt for a study partner until i finish my orgo course

Archived