Premed 101 Forums

Looking for Study Buddies to prepare for the MCAT (click to see if you're eligible)

peef

There are just so many things wrong with your attitude towards "selecting" study buddies. FAIL.

The OP is a doucher no doubt who takes himself way too seriously, but just as an exercise in rational thinking, aren't you being a little hypocritical? You and everyone else on this board are trying desperately to get into schools which use as a big part of their admissions criteria the same hard cutoff-type structure that this guy's using to, as you say, "select" his study buddies. In fact, if I'm not mistaken McGill uses that exact 3.9 cutoff for its OOP applicants. He's a complete a**hole for taking himself so seriously that he puts himself on the same level as admission boards, but to say that there's something inherently wrong with his selection criteria is a pretty flawed argument considering how heavily we've all bought in to the system. Just to be clear, I'm nowhere near the OP's dumb cutoff and yes, he's pretentious as they come, but it seems like there's a lot of redirected pent-up frustration going on here.

Just my two cents.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The OP is a doucher no doubt who takes himself way too seriously, but just as an exercise in rational thinking, aren't you being a little hypocritical? You and everyone else on this board are trying desperately to get into schools which use as a big part of their admissions criteria the same hard cutoff-type structure that this guy's using to, as you say, "select" his study buddies. In fact, if I'm not mistaken McGill uses that exact 3.9 cutoff for its OOP applicants. He's a complete a**hole for taking himself so seriously that he puts himself on the same level as admission boards, but to say that there's something inherently wrong with his selection criteria is a pretty flawed argument considering how heavily we've all bought in to the system. Just to be clear, I'm nowhere near the OP's dumb cutoff and yes, he's pretentious as they come, but it seems like there's a lot of redirected pent-up frustration going on here.

Just my two cents.

Dude, cmon!

Everyone who wants to get in to med school has to play the game - and a high GPA is an important part of that game. But that being said, we should all know that someone who has a 3.8 GPA is very likely just as intelligent as a person with a 3.9, even if the med schools, with their hard cutoffs don't recognize him as such. So yes, there is a problem with the OP's selection criteria in choosing an MCAT study partner by such rigid cutoffs. We all have to play the game, but I hope no one believes that these cutoffs are inherently meaningful in measuring who will be a good doctor, intelligent person, or quality MCAT study partner,

So no, there is nothing "inherently flawed" in looking for a good MCAT study partner, but there is something inherently flawed with issuing such rigid cutoffs as a means of finding one

How did I miss this (not so) hidden gem for so long? Totally made my day!!

As for study groups, I've always learned the most by working with people that were weaker that me in a particular subject. Teaching/tutoring is amazing to cement (?) your knowledge! And you even end up learning new things most of the time too.

OP sounds a little pretentious for sure! Who cares about the GPA if the other students are willing to work?

I may know some people in who qualify and would be interested...

I just have one important question to ask: Were your scores, 33 on 4R and 34 on 5R, prior to studying for the test? They're kinda low, but if it's prior to studying, they'll cut you a little slack.

Just my two cents.

Yes, you are right in that medical schools use the same hard cut-off structure that the OP could be potentially "applying" as his selection criterion. However, there are valid reasons why medical schools use such hight GPA cutoffs for OOP vs IP applicants. I suppose that one of the main reasons is the school's desire to limit the number of OOP applicants applying for logistical purposes. I am sure that there are other important reasons for it. I doubt though that the schools do that because GPA>3.8/9 is a marker of premed intelligence that is superior to 3.3 (or whatever the lower limit is)<GPA<3.8. The OP, on the other hand, chooses GPA>3.9 for that exact reason. Or at least he makes it sound that way.

i don't think i would study with you, i'm too smart and accomplished to study with people in general ;):cool: but if you'd like to remain within a 35 foot proximity of me so you could be motivated by my ability to sit at my desk for 8 hours long stretches you can send an application, since you're in undergrad i'll give you a deal and only charge 20 an hour

Dear peef, I actually got an account so I can tell you that seeing your post totally made my day!!!

But if you're really serious, can I come join one of these "intense" MCAT sessions? I'll come for ****s and giggles since like the previous poster, I'm also much more accomplished than you and have normal friends that I like not based on their GPA. If you need proof, I'll show you my sexier-than-yours GPA if you pay for my transcript...heck I'll even throw in my orgasmic MCAT score report and uoft MD acceptance as a bonus ;)

Dear peef, I actually got an account so I can tell you that seeing your post totally made my day!!!

But if you're really serious, can I come join one of these "intense" MCAT sessions? I'll come for ****s and giggles since like the previous poster, I'm also much more accomplished than you and have normal friends that I like not based on their GPA. If you need proof, I'll show you my sexier-than-yours GPA if you pay for my transcript...heck I'll even throw in my orgasmic MCAT score report and uoft MD acceptance as a bonus ;)

Sure you don't want to study with the OP? I think you two match up pretty well in terms of pretension.

Archived