Premed 101 Forums

York, Class of 2015?

talons

From lurking around the forums, I can tell there's quite a few premeds out there headed for York this September.

So who's on board, and what major are you in?

We should have awesome premed101 meetups/study sessions! >=D

...I haven't heard from York yet, though I did get my UT Life Sci acceptance today ~_~

You'll get an acceptance for sure because if you can hold a fork you can get into York.

nothing against Yorkies but York does have an extremely low admission average (~70s will get you in most programs)

lol thats why the OP got a UT acceptance before getting a york one?

when I applied, York was my first one, and the rest followed later.

:{O

just saying..

Ahhh, yeah I applied to biomed. I really regret it though. I want to transfer =/.

McGill was by far the fastest acceptance though...

Just, at the rate this is going, I wonder what my chances at calling shots for res is.

@bored: :{O

is it like, :o face with a mustache?

;) OP will see the value of an uoft education when he/she comes here

+1

I'm proud of being a student at U of T. Great opportunities, especially if you're considering research. Excellent profs, make sure you get to know them.

Ahhh, yeah I applied to biomed. I really regret it though. I want to transfer =/.

McGill was by far the fastest acceptance though...

Just, at the rate this is going, I wonder what my chances at calling shots for res is.

@bored: :{O

is it like, :o face with a mustache?

Indeed its my smily.. patented smiley

UT is actually not that bad, from what I hear from friends in there for life sciences.. They all tell em that 3.7s are easy and so are 3.9s. but getting that 4.0 is tough.

I have to admit, the one thing i regert about going to york is the lack of research opportunities.. at UT, each department has student research.. I beleive UT has departments for things like immunology and each of those have student research.. so When I was searching for research, i found out that they only take UT students..

also, if you volunteer at a hospital and wanna get in into research.. I can pretty much say with 100% confidence that the doctors choose people from UT.

maybe you applied to a position that no1 else applied to, or maybe you just happened to ask when they needed a student..

It has happened to me.. so I thought Id mentin it.

There is no way york's student = UofT's student in the eyes of many. Even if they have the same marks.. I know we all feel that York Is just as hard as UofT.. but according to profs and docs, UofT is much better.

I think U of T professors still has a preference for U of T students. I've heard many professors poke fun at york - you know the typical york stereotypes - even if jokingly. You wouldn't know this because you don't go to U of T. If you take a look at the overheard at U of T facebook group, there are a lot of belittling comments about york, coming straight out of professors' mouth!

Really? So the multiple UT profs I've worked with only took me because no one else applied. Right. UT is only better for grad school, and even that's debatable depending on the program.

EDIT: probably depends on your grades as well...looking at your posts, it appears that you've got a number of non-A/A+ grades, which would definitely hurt your chances.

Going to UofT is not a very big deal, don't feel special.

Most people that I know that are going to York got accepted to UofT as well but chose to go to York instead.

Lmao Guys I'm at York biomed. I'm just saying how I feel about research opportunities here at York and elsewhere. I got into ut as well but chose York :{o

I do not think it's harder at ut. I think it all depends on how much the student puts into what they do. But reputation goes a long way. Ie. I'm not gonna post up my Degree Fromm York in my office!

maybe you applied to a position that no1 else applied to, or maybe you just happened to ask when they needed a student..

It has happened to me.. so I thought Id mentin it.

There is no way york's student = UofT's student in the eyes of many. Even if they have the same marks.. I know we all feel that York Is just as hard as UofT.. but according to profs and docs, UofT is much better.

That's kind of contradicting isn't it? It seems many people on this thread were offered admission to UofT, but are avoiding it because they know it's more competitive and harder to get a good GPA than at York. But now you turn the tables around and say that York is just as hard as UofT? Why then would anyone in their right mind want to go to a University that is JUST AS HARD but less international recognition or anything then? :rolleyes:

That's kind of contradicting isn't it? It seems many people on this thread were offered admission to UofT, but are avoiding it because they know it's more competitive and harder to get a good GPA than at York. But now you turn the tables around and say that York is just as hard as UofT? Why then would anyone in their right mind want to go to a University that is JUST AS HARD but less international recognition or anything then? :rolleyes:

I went to york for their program. I don't like life sciences. I wouldn't say biology or biomed is easier at york than at any other university.

Kinesiology at york is a different story tho. :P

Lmao Guys I'm at York biomed. I'm just saying how I feel about research opportunities here at York and elsewhere. I got into ut as well but chose York :{o

I do not think it's harder at ut. I think it all depends on how much the student puts into what they do. But reputation goes a long way. Ie. I'm not gonna post up my Degree Fromm York in my office!

Cos research counts as every single way now? York clwarly is better at some things since youre here. AlsO we cant deny that UofT is harder and has more experienced profs but york is also HUGE and I dont know why so many people find it hard to find opportunities, I think its pretty easy lol.

Cos research counts as every single way now? York clwarly is better at some things since youre here. AlsO we cant deny that UofT is harder and has more experienced profs but york is also HUGE and I dont know why so many people find it hard to find opportunities, I think its pretty easy lol.

HUGE means that theres more competition for every position.

Archived