Premed 101 Forums

York, Class of 2015?

Because IMHO, the fact that ut is

Much harder is just a rumer. And the fact that there is no curving at uoft is also another Rumer. I've heard of physics first year classes getting curved pretty well.

It's just when I was in hs, everyone told me not to go there. But I later realized only the complainers have the time to complain. We wont ear from the people That did well because they don't need to bloat it.

The best advice is choose the university for reasons that actually distinguish a university. For e,x, choose uoft because it's in downtown and close to union l. Choose York because it's a commuter hub. Choose uoft because it has archeology department ( and York doesn't). Choose utsc and Waterloo for coop.

So what I'm saying is don't make your decision on the fact that one school is easier then the other. If a university has achieved the status of "university" than expect the same education as offered elsewhere

There's members on this board who have attended both schools, and they will probably tell you that there is a difference in the level of difficulty.

I don't believe them because I myself think 3rd year was easier than 2nd year at york... but that doesnt mean Molecular Biology II (3rd year course) was easier than cell biology (2nd year course) in terms of content... it just means I have more experience and know how to study now. Unless that member has taken courses at york and uoft during the same year at the same time, I'm not going to believe them. :P

If you switch from biochem at uoft to kine at york, ofcourse you will find it easy (I know a lot of people that have switched into kine at york from uoft).... I doubt anyone switches from biochem at uoft to biochem at york.

Because IMHO, the fact that ut is

Much harder is just a rumer. And the fact that there is no curving at uoft is also another Rumer. I've heard of physics first year classes getting curved pretty well.

It's just when I was in hs, everyone told me not to go there. But I later realized only the complainers have the time to complain. We wont ear from the people That did well because they don't need to bloat it.

The best advice is choose the university for reasons that actually distinguish a university. For e,x, choose uoft because it's in downtown and close to union l. Choose York because it's a commuter hub. Choose uoft because it has archeology department ( and York doesn't). Choose utsc and Waterloo for coop.

So what I'm saying is don't make your decision on the fact that one school is easier then the other. If a university has achieved the status of "university" than expect the same education as offered elsewhere

Have you been to UofT? If you are not an UofT student, than you are in no position to judge how hard it is or isn't. Ask any UofT student and they will tell you that they worked their butt of for their degree.

There is no doubt differences in terms of the quality of education different universities offer. If there wasn't, there would be no need for rankings.

Have you been to UofT? If you are not an UofT student, than you are in no position to judge how hard it is or isn't. Ask any UofT student and they will tell you that they worked their butt of for their degree.

There is no doubt differences in terms of the quality of education different universities offer. If there wasn't, there would be no need for rankings.

You forget one important fact: All that matters is what ad-coms think, and they do not add or subtract points based on your alma mater. With that said, why attend a difficult school in the first place when you will have an easier time at a less reputable one? ;)

You forget one important fact: All that matters is what ad-coms think, and they do not add or subtract points based on your alma mater. With that said, why attend a difficult school in the first place when you will have an easier time at a less reputable one? ;)

Yup I agree with the part about adcoms not bothering about where you had graduated from.

But bored was discrediting the hard work that UofT students put in for their GPAs, by equating it to York. I don't think he's someone in position to comment about that, since he has not yet attended UofT.

You could say the same about any university... how can you judge how hard other schools are if you haven't gone to them?

You'll get an acceptance for sure because if you can hold a fork you can get into York.

nothing against Yorkies but York does have an extremely low admission average (~70s will get you in most programs)

Get into Schulich or Osgood Law school and then comment.

Reputation matters? Bull****. :P Once you become a doctor nobody is going to give a **** about what school you went to for undergrad :o

This. Get into medical school from any undergrad school then talk. No one cares what school you came from as long as you get in.

Thought Schulich is a business school and Osgood is ofc for law correct? I don't think most people here want to get into Schulich or Osgood seeing that they are on a pre-med site.

I have friends from Schulich who want to go to medschool. One of them got into ottawa last year. Schulich is the perfect major for building your ECs.... opportunities come to you i.e. you don't have to look for them.

Thought Schulich is a business school and Osgood is ofc for law correct? I don't think most people here want to get into Schulich or Osgood seeing that they are on a pre-med site.

The people who are admitted to medical school have all kinds of different backgrounds: they are a pretty diverse group. There are people with commerce degrees, business degrees, arts degree, engineering degrees, law degrees, fine arts degrees, etc. in medical school. Sure, there are plenty of pre-meds who do the typical science or life science degree, but some people pursue an undergraduate degree with an eye of having a back-up career in case they don't get into medical school. These people are more likely to choose to pursue a degree in business/commerce, engineering, or some other pre-professional or professional program. Many of these individuals realize that it is difficult to get into medical school in Canada, and that there are many more qualified applicants than medical school spots. Thus, they pick an undergraduate degree with an eye towards having a back-up plan in case they don't succeed in getting into medical school.

Then there are those who come to medicine later in life. These people are an even more diverse group, with a wide variety of undergraduate degrees and experiences. Just take a look at this forum: we have people with all kinds of different backgrounds being accepted into medical school.

The people who are admitted to medical school have all kinds of different backgrounds: they are a pretty diverse group. There are people with commerce degrees, business degrees, arts degree, engineering degrees, law degrees, fine arts degrees, etc. in medical school. Sure, there are plenty of pre-meds who do the typical science or life science degree, but some people pursue an undergraduate degree with an eye of having a back-up career in case they don't get into medical school. These people are more likely to choose to pursue a degree in business/commerce, engineering, or some other pre-professional or professional program. Many of these individuals realize that it is difficult to get into medical school in Canada, and that there are many more qualified applicants than medical school spots. Thus, they pick an undergraduate degree with an eye towards having a back-up plan in case they don't succeed in getting into medical school.

Then there are those who come to medicine later in life. These people are an even more diverse group, with a wide variety of undergraduate degrees and experiences. Just take a look at this forum: we have people with all kinds of different backgrounds being accepted into medical school.

Thanks for stating the obvious. My post was for the OP who wrote: "Get into Schulich or Osgood Law school and then comment." Which does not make any sense because we are not in a premed site to get admission into Schulich or Osgood Law.

Thanks for stating the obvious. My post was for the OP who wrote: "Get into Schulich or Osgood Law school and then comment." Which does not make any sense because we are not in a premed site to get admission into Schulich or Osgood Law.

I believe that MarathonRunner and Charmer were trying to tell you that at least some of these York "pre-meds" that are applying to med school can come from Shulich or Osgoode, which have competitive admission standards, and are programs that you (should) hold at least in the same regard as U of T.

They weren't just randomly flouting the fact that Shulich and Osgoode are good schools. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Guys...let's not debate about school or program difficulty and such here. Honestly, if you work hard and you enjoy what you're learning (despite you have loftier goals of medicine) the four years you're spending at York, U of T, or Mac, or Western are going to be great. Sure you're going to have your ups and downs, good profs and bad profs, great grades and poor grades. This is consistent for most students across all universities, which may be (and I'm speculating here) why adcom does not care what degree you have or what institution you attended. There is no activation notice when you sign up for York that you are guaranteed a certain # of A+s, or if you go to U of T you are guaranteed that most of your classes will make you cry at night. It doesn't work like that.

They do care, however, about your ability to work hard and diligently over this period of time. So appreciate what your institution has to give to you (and ignore the crap that it has...and believe me there's a LOT of crap floating at the top sometimes), look for opportunities to learn, and don't let your university or program define your abilities and interests. I say this with the utmost sincerity because it's easy to fall into that trap...I know how that feels and what damage it can do sometimes. But once you lay your goals very clearly, the world is your oyster.

Just Macbook's 2 cents.

Quoted for truth. Good post, mac

Guys...let's not debate about school or program difficulty and such here. Honestly, if you work hard and you enjoy what you're learning (despite you have loftier goals of medicine) the four years you're spending at York, U of T, or Mac, or Western are going to be great. Sure you're going to have your ups and downs, good profs and bad profs, great grades and poor grades. This is consistent for most students across all universities, which may be (and I'm speculating here) why adcom does not care what degree you have or what institution you attended. There is no activation notice when you sign up for York that you are guaranteed a certain # of A+s, or if you go to U of T you are guaranteed that most of your classes will make you cry at night. It doesn't work like that.

They do care, however, about your ability to work hard and diligently over this period of time. So appreciate what your institution has to give to you (and ignore the crap that it has...and believe me there's a LOT of crap floating at the top sometimes), look for opportunities to learn, and don't let your university or program define your abilities and interests. I say this with the utmost sincerity because it's easy to fall into that trap...I know how that feels and what damage it can do sometimes. But once you lay your goals very clearly, the world is your oyster.

Just Macbook's 2 cents.

Your point is completely invalid. You can get into medicine from any university or program (law or schulich or programming or engineering or even plumbing). Therefore you can't say york is easy to get into because there is no PREMED program in Canada, whether your in schulich or Mac health science...it's the same thing.

You'll get an acceptance for sure because if you can hold a fork you can get into York.

nothing against Yorkies but York does have an extremely low admission average (~70s will get you in most programs)

where did you get that information from? Because if you go to CUDO, (http://www.yorku.ca/oira/CUDO/2010/htmlSectionB.html) the lowest average via program is physical education with a 73%, everything else is above 75%. Overall, YorkU admission average is 80%.

Get your facts straight.

Your point is completely invalid. You can get into medicine from any university or program (law or schulich or programming or engineering or even plumbing). Therefore you can't say york is easy to get into because there is no PREMED program in Canada, whether your in schulich or Mac health science...it's the same thing.

Please re-read my post. I never said you cannot get accepted into medical school from any university or program. I also never said York is easy.

Ironic how when somebody mentions York in a post, people immediately read it as York = easy.

Please re-read my post. I never said you cannot get accepted into medical school from any university or program. I also never said York is easy.

Ironic how when somebody mentions York in a post, people immediately read it as York = easy.

You said that this is a premed forum and that no one was aiming to get into schulich or law. In response to that, Fireinx said that medschools don't care which program you're in. And yes, there are people in schulich that were and are aiming to get into medschool (as mentioned before).

Schulich was mentioned to indicate that york just like mac is not an easy school to get into. Schulich is to york as health sci is to mac. Therefore, people at york did not have a 70 in grade 12. So when you said that it doesnt make sense to bring schulich up, it completely made sense that you were arguing that york is easy and schulich can not be used as a proof to say that york is not easy.

You said that this is a premed forum and that no one was aiming to get into schulich or law. In response to that, Fireinx said that medschools don't care which program you're in. And yes, there are people in schulich that were and are aiming to get into medschool (as mentioned before).

Schulich was mentioned to indicate that york just like mac is not an easy school to get into. Schulich is to york as health sci is to mac. Therefore, people at york did not have a 70 in grade 12. So when you said that it doesnt make sense to bring schulich up, it completely made sense that you were arguing that york is easy and schulich can not be used as a proof to say that york is not easy.

+1. Schulich rocks. Some of the smartest ppl I've met were at the Bronfman library.

Archived