Premed 101 Forums

MCAT study plan

derosel

Hi,

I've taken the MCAT last summer and took a kaplan course to prepare. However, I need to do it agaon this summer, but I am not paying to do the course again so I was wondering what a good study plan would be since the course kept me on track last summer? I was thinking one month just simply reading the material, not doing any homework or the subject or topic tests or full lengths, then the second month doing all the practice problems, subject test, and ful lengths.This is partly becuase I felt like I was just reading fast because I had like five subject tests to do and then read for the next class all in one day and it was very rushed and overwhelming. What do you guys think?

Hi,

I've taken the MCAT last summer and took a kaplan course to prepare. However, I need to do it agaon this summer, but I am not paying to do the course again so I was wondering what a good study plan would be since the course kept me on track last summer? I was thinking one month just simply reading the material, not doing any homework or the subject or topic tests or full lengths, then the second month doing all the practice problems, subject test, and ful lengths.This is partly becuase I felt like I was just reading fast because I had like five subject tests to do and then read for the next class all in one day and it was very rushed and overwhelming. What do you guys think?

I would recommend that you don't hold off on tests until the second month. Doing practice problems and seeing where you need the most help in is more effective than reviewing material you already know. I think a balance of both reviewing and doing practice tests would be most effective imo. I have found that it is helpful to study a chapter and then do practice questions on it. I start out with physical science (take about 1-2 hours to read and understand a chapter) and then do maybe 4-6 practice questions on it (tpr hyperlearning science workbook separates practice questions based on subjects-you can buy this book on ebay). Then I study verbal, do some writing samples and then finish with bio. I find studying the sections in order of the test helps me get into the right mindset for the test. I would also recommend doing a full length test every 1-2 weeks to make sure you are on track. Hope this helps!

Archived