Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

With all the changes for UBC this year, I thought a separate place to discuss UBC-specific applications might be worthwhile.

Anybody else started up their application on the new OAS today? I did!!! (Totally being a keener...)

First thing of note, did anybody notice this limit on NAQ items?

You can list up to 3 Leadership, 3 Service Ethic, 5 Capacity to Work with Others, 3 High Performance in an Area of Human Endeavour, and several Diversity of Experience entries. There is a 250 character limit per description text box for each entry.

Is this fewer than previous years? It's hard to squeeze in non-regular items with this limit (I.E., volunteering for a day or two, etc.). I'm debating stuffing them into Diversity of Experience, but from these limits it seems like UBC doesn't want us stuffing our applications so maybe I should just leave them off...

Also, you now input the average number of hours per month. Is this different from before? I thought it was estimated cumulative total hours before.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is an extremely anal question. And I haven't even signed up to apply yet...

But does the 250 character limit include spaces / periods / commas and does the application program automatically detect this limit?

Yes. Which is goofy, I agree.

That being said, it's also very disappointing they are limiting the number of entries in each section. However, without unlimited man-power, I can see the reason for it..

Yes. Which is goofy, I agree.

That being said, it's also very disappointing they are limiting the number of entries in each section. However, without unlimited man-power, I can see the reason for it..

Heh sorry... so you're answering "yes" to the limit including spaces and punctuation, and also to the fact that the site automatically "catches" you when you type over the limit?

Thanks for the clarification...

Heh sorry... so you're answering "yes" to the limit including spaces and punctuation, and also to the fact that the site automatically "catches" you when you type over the limit?

Thanks for the clarification...

Yep, every character... spaces and punctuation included. It has a counter ("0/250") and won't let you enter more than 250 into the box.

Yep, every character... spaces and punctuation included. It has a counter ("0/250") and won't let you enter more than 250 into the box.

Yup! So just single space between sentences!! I copied it all in word and then did a search for the double space which helped use all the characters I could!

A trick to add in as much as possible: fit all you can into your work experience section! If you did a summer studentship where you got an honorarium put it in work experience!

I'm so excited to start writing up my application again!

Jus one question... For people who applied last year, did you use the same username and password or did you click on the 'new applicant' button? I tried logging in but wasn't able to do it. Thanks!!

Hey guys. Definitely not claiming to be a pro or more knowledgeable on this topic than anyone else, but if you have any questions you can fire em my way in a PM and I'll be happy to lend a hand. I'll be out of the country for the next 2 weeks but after that I'll be able to give my humble advice if you believe I could be of any help. All the best everyone!

Hey guys. Definitely not claiming to be a pro or more knowledgeable on this topic than anyone else, but if you have any questions you can fire em my way in a PM and I'll be happy to lend a hand. I'll be out of the country for the next 2 weeks but after that I'll be able to give my humble advice if you believe I could be of any help. All the best everyone!

Thanks a lot for the generous offer. Can definitely use your advice. Have a great trip!

Starting with this application cycle It appears that UBC has decided that one must pay 50$ to start their application. You are able to view all of the sections for free but to fill in any information you must pay the fee. I can't see any downside beyond the money, but there really isn't any advantage to doing it if you are not going to be applying.

rejection so sucks. i am so sad to start all this cycle again

i very doubt u have any capabilty whatsoever to give "humble" advice. so full of yourself (if any1 is in doubt just look at his d-baggish signature)

rejection so sucks. i am so sad to start all this cycle again

i very doubt u have any capabilty whatsoever to give "humble" advice. so full of yourself (if any1 is in doubt just look at his d-baggish signature)

This kind of behaviour is not very accepted at these forums. Please be polite.

Archived