Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

Anyone want to wager a guess if disqualified applicants will be notified the same time as rejected applicants? Would they give us a heads up if a verifier couldn't be contacted or wait until the 14th? (I had a verifier for a major activity go abroad with no phone and limited internet contact)

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone want to wager a guess if disqualified applicants will be notified the same time as rejected applicants? Would they give us a heads up if a verifier couldn't be contacted or wait until the 14th? (I had a verifier for a major activity go abroad with no phone and limited internet contact)

Lychee, they give you a heads up if a verifier can not be contacted, and they do not disqualify your application, they simply disqualify that activity. I know this because they just e-mailed me saying they contacted 3 of my verifiers. One of them put the e-mail into her junk and never responded so they gave me heads up and I contacted the verifier, who found it and responded.

I'm getting really nervous. The notification week last year was kind of brutal. I think I still have about a 50/50 shot, but I have fingers crossed. Most days I'll have no internet for the entire day unless I figure out how to make my phone work in the area of town I'll be working in (whitehorse has terrible phone coverage).

Just wanted to share this, it was a question that someone asked in the UBC Med Admissions blog almost a week ago with the corresponding answer from UBC Med:

Jason

November 6, 2011 at 5:25 am | Permalink | Reply

Is there a particular order in which applicants will be notified in regards to the interview decisions?

Ie- Will non-successful applicants be notified before successful applicants or vice-versa?

Admissions

November 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

This is a great question, but a hard one to answer is a satisfactory manner. As some noticed last year, we sent regrets out in batches before we sent out the invites, but there were still people who received regrets towards the end of the week. We plan to do something similar this year, regrets first, invites later, but our plans could change based on a wide variety of factors and unfortunately regrets/invites can come at any point throughout the week. We don’t want to torture you, but please withhold judgment about your status until you actually receive the letter. Best of luck!'

Just wanted to share this, it was a question that someone asked in the UBC Med Admissions blog almost a week ago with the corresponding answer from UBC Med:

Jason

November 6, 2011 at 5:25 am | Permalink | Reply

Is there a particular order in which applicants will be notified in regards to the interview decisions?

Ie- Will non-successful applicants be notified before successful applicants or vice-versa?

Admissions

November 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

This is a great question, but a hard one to answer is a satisfactory manner. As some noticed last year, we sent regrets out in batches before we sent out the invites, but there were still people who received regrets towards the end of the week. We plan to do something similar this year, regrets first, invites later, but our plans could change based on a wide variety of factors and unfortunately regrets/invites can come at any point throughout the week. We don’t want to torture you, but please withhold judgment about your status until you actually receive the letter. Best of luck!'

That really does sound like torture! Most other Canadian Medical schools send all decisions at once. But I guess UBC wants to cover their a**es, in case they make a mistake. This would give them the flexibility to cancel someone's offer and give it to someone else - since the person holding the offer would not have a chance to know until the last day no one ever finds out :). Seems so cruel.....

OK guys, lets all keep in mind that this is ONLY an issue because of this very forum. If it wasn't for people reporting that they got ineligibles/rejections/whatever, then the people with invites last year wouldn't have been on tenterhooks last year waiting to see if another round of rejections was coming out. Take a look at the thread from last year. It was stupid. We were just nuts and I really want to avoid it again this year.

When I was with other people in the past who were applying, you waited for the MAILCARRIER to come! Every day.

So this is easy for me to say, not so easy to do, but just chill. Like they said in therir blog, don't expect anything until they actually send YOU an email. :)

I am extremely nervous this year despite 2 years of getting invited for interviews. I think I'm scared of them saying 'Well she hasn't made it so she's just not appropriate'. Anyone think this is likely/unlikely?

I am really biting my nails. Plus I have an important job interview tomorrow. I need to put a lid on this worrying!!!

I am extremely nervous this year despite 2 years of getting invited for interviews. I think I'm scared of them saying 'Well she hasn't made it so she's just not appropriate'. Anyone think this is likely/unlikely?

I am really biting my nails. Plus I have an important job interview tomorrow. I need to put a lid on this worrying!!!

I dont think thats what they do. I've heard people applying the 5th time to UBC and got in last year.

If this is really what you want, and you've been getting interviews before, I think you are close enough and I encourage you not to give up.

Dont lose hope :)

Hi Eternalkeener,

Seriously you shouldn't worry. If you have been invited twice already that means you are among the top applicants anyway. So most likely you will get invited again. They haven't changed anything major since the last cycle so I am sure you wont hear anything from them until Friday. :)

If I were you, I would follow Kyla's advice and stay away from this forum!!! It's evil during decision time. Either way, be strong and just remind yourself that "it's just an admission". It's not as important as we make it to be.

I hope that helps you relax a bit.

:)

Hi Eternalkeener,

Seriously you shouldn't worry. If you have been invited twice already that means you are among the top applicants anyway. So most likely you will get invited again. They haven't changed anything major since the last cycle so I am sure you wont hear anything from them until Friday. :)

If I were you, I would follow Kyla's advice and stay away from this forum!!! It's evil during decision time. Either way, be strong and just remind yourself that "it's just an admission". It's not as important as we make it to be.

I hope that helps you relax a bit.

:)

I am all for positivity, but they have made some MAJOR changes since last cycle (ex. drop lowest year added, no most recent 60 evaluated, no 10 year rule). That said, I am super hopeful for you Keener. I do think taking some time away from this forum is great advice. I don't think that this place will help my anxiety at all!

hey Everyone,

Thanks for your advice. Genemo, I think you calmed me down when I needed it most. This forum can be anxiety-provoking, but I think it is good sometimes to be jerked back to reality. At this time, people are already on edge so they perhaps do not need to be jerked back to reality; take me for example! I should remain positive as I've had interviews before, but not necessarily expect one from UBC. That's tough to swallow but I'm going to dive into thinking about other things and go crazy with sports until I get an answer.

Good luck, Everybody! I have compassion for you all... we're all swimming in this together.

hey Everyone,

Thanks for your advice. Genemo, I think you calmed me down when I needed it most. This forum can be anxiety-provoking, but I think it is good sometimes to be jerked back to reality. At this time, people are already on edge so they perhaps do not need to be jerked back to reality; take me for example! I should remain positive as I've had interviews before, but not necessarily expect one from UBC. That's tough to swallow but I'm going to dive into thinking about other things and go crazy with sports until I get an answer.

Good luck, Everybody! I have compassion for you all... we're all swimming in this together.

Good luck! I hope you get in this year. Just practice REALLY HARD on the interview :)

Archived