Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

rejection so sucks. i am so sad to start all this cycle again

i very doubt u have any capabilty whatsoever to give "humble" advice. so full of yourself (if any1 is in doubt just look at his d-baggish signature)

Completely uncalled for! :mad:

While Larivee's sig can come off as a little strange to some... that was the standard for this year.

It seemed like everybody was putting who they interviewed with, who accepted them, waitlisted them and rejected them.

It's not his fault he got accepted at all 4. As for the decision... that would be a tough thing to consider- all of the places he got in were obviously places he would have wanted to go, otherwise... why bother applying. Larivee is a young buck, with the whole world in front of him... Dude's a stud.

Blast, if I remember correctly called me out a couple weeks ago... So, it's not completely new to see this. No worries though, it's a tough thing to have to go through and I don't blame him for being upset.

I wish you luck with your app Blast, if you want any advice or pointers- pm101 is here to help.

Good luck!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Digging the research section. I can also foresee everybody just mashing their entries into Diversity of Experiences.

Do you guys think research will be weighted more heavily this cycle, given how the NAQ section is more restricted (less entries and word count) while the research section is more flexible (can include abstract/presentation/ongoing research)?

While Larivee's sig can come off as a little strange to some... that was the standard for this year.

It seemed like everybody was putting who they interviewed with, who accepted them, waitlisted them and rejected them.

I have to say, I don't quite understand why people feel compelled to have all that information in their signatures. I can see how it can come off as "bragging" to many, or just showing off.

I can understand why people put their school and year of graduation in their signature - it is nice to see where people are going to medical school - but including all the interviews, acceptances, waitlists, etc. could be seen as bragging or showing off, even if that's not the intention. It doesn't bother me, but I do see how people could interpret it in a negative light.

Seriously, who cares if Larrivee is bragging or not? The thing is, he DID get accepted to 4 schools, so he must have done something right in his application and could definitely help applicants who are lost or stuck. Look at it this way - if you are accepted to just one school, you would probably be really excited to share the good news to others too.

I don't care either way about Larrivee's signature, but remember that you only need one acceptance. It's impossible for you to attend all medical schools you were accepted to at once. That's what friends on this forum, in real life, and my family told me. Good luck to all applicants.

I have to say, I don't quite understand why people feel compelled to have all that information in their signatures. I can see how it can come off as "bragging" to many, or just showing off.

I can understand why people put their school and year of graduation in their signature - it is nice to see where people are going to medical school - but including all the interviews, acceptances, waitlists, etc. could be seen as bragging or showing off, even if that's not the intention. It doesn't bother me, but I do see how people could interpret it in a negative light.

I like it--I feel like it helps me identify I can approach if I have questions about certain schools, particularly in the general forum.

...anyways back on topic. Yes, I wonder if research will have a heavier weight this year? I hope so, because for my research experience I had to scale back on volunteering a bit.

What are you guys doing for awards that are partially non-academic? It says to put them under Diversity, but I need to put "hours" for that and "0" looks bad. :P I'm debating between putting the Millennium conferences into the Millennium Excellence Scholarship entry, or splitting the conferences into yet another Diversity entry. On one hand, I don't want them to overlook it, but on the other hand, I don't want to look like I'm grabbing for points. Also, what about one-time awards awarded on graduation from high school? I'm definitely including ongoing ones (Millennium) but I'm not sure about these one-time awards.

FYI, UBC now has an admissions blog:

http://admissionsblog.med.ubc.ca/

*Cough*UofTcopycats*cough*

In all seriousness though, it should be a great resource for us :)

It definitely will be a great resource I think, and blogs are always really interesting too :P But I'm just confused why they are still reviewing the pre-selection process, its strange how its not done by now

It definitely will be a great resource I think, and blogs are always really interesting too :P But I'm just confused why they are still reviewing the pre-selection process, its strange how its not done by now

it doesn't really have to be solidified until august 15th since they don't actually do any sort of file review until that time

Hey I have a bunch of questions. Maybe you guys can help answer some of them.

1. Does the NSERC USRA award fit in the academic awards section? From what I understand it is almost fully based on GPA, but there are questions in the application regarding research experience etc.

2. Do RA's (research assistanceships) fit in the academic awards section?

3. It says in the help guide that "awards that are given partially or totally because of achievement in non-academic areas such as community service or leadership should be entered in the Non-Academic Activities as a Diversity of Experiences activity type, even if part of the award criteria is based on academics." However, in the High Performance in an Area of Human Endeavour section it says, "These individuals receive recognition by way of non-academic awards, citations, honours, etc...Under “description” column, you may list up to three awards/recognitions." Do non-academic awards fit in the Diversity of Experience or Human Endeavor section?

4. From my understanding, if I published a paper in a journal as part of my employment, this counts as "Part of Program Requirements?"

5. For the description section for activities/employment, are they looking more for a description of what I did, or what I gained personal (skilled utilized etc) from an activity?

Guest lenovo thinkpad
FYI at the SFU information thingy this afternoon, they said that if you've already taken CHEM 286 it'll still count in your prerequisite GPA. Yay!!!

Awesome! Thanks for posting this. I was wondering this exact thing, but I couldn't make it to the infosession today. Did they mention any other interesting/hidden details?

FYI at the SFU information thingy this afternoon, they said that if you've already taken CHEM 286 it'll still count in your prerequisite GPA. Yay!!!

I think you misheard? They said it will not count in the prereq average but will still count in overall gpa.

Hm, my friend (who wasn't sitting with me) says he heard the same, but now I'm not sure...

Hmmm... Well I'm pretty sure what I heard-but who knows. It wouldn't make sense though for them to post that on their website as not counting it as a pre-req, and then actually count it if you have it...

This is what I heard

Oh :( I guess I heard what I wanted to... including 286 in my prerequisite GPA brings it up 1%. I wish they'd have given us a 1-year "buffer" to have it included in our prerequisite GPA since (particularly for those of us who have to do it outside of our program) have spent the time and money on it already.

Oh :( I guess I heard what I wanted to... including 286 in my prerequisite GPA brings it up 1%. I wish they'd have given us a 1-year "buffer" to have it included in our prerequisite GPA since (particularly for those of us who have to do it outside of our program) have spent the time and money on it already.

It would have helped my pre-req avg as well so you're not alone. You don't need it for your major? Are you doing a non-SCI major or something? Luckily, my major requires it so it didn't affect me the same!

Taken from the UBC Medicine Blog

Pre Interview academic criteria

By Admissions on June 9, 2011

The Evaluation Criteria section of the website has been updated regarding the pre-interview academic criteria. We can now confirm that the academic score will be derived from applicants’ overall average (or adjusted academic average if applicable). The academic and non-academic scores will still be weighed equally (50% each). We will not be looking at your MCAT or prerequisite average during this phase of the evaluation process.

That seems ridiculously simple. Overal GPA or adjust GPA equals 50% of your pre interview score... then NAQ is the other 50%.

Good luck this year gang!

Archived