Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

In the Help Guide it says: "Active participation in events or activities leads to the accumulation of knowledge and skills. These experiences can be attained through, but are not limited to: travel, sports, cultural, music/theatre/arts, non-academic awards and scholarships"

So I have a non-academic award for community involvement from my university hockey team... should that award go as its own entry or be in the description of the playing hockey entry?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the Help Guide it says: "Active participation in events or activities leads to the accumulation of knowledge and skills. These experiences can be attained through, but are not limited to: travel, sports, cultural, music/theatre/arts, non-academic awards and scholarships"

So I have a non-academic award for community involvement from my university hockey team... should that award go as its own entry or be in the description of the playing hockey entry?

I would put it as a separate entry...

I had a question, I have some activities such as Photography which I've been paid to do should I list this as part of my employment history?

I haven't been employed full time or part time because of it but I have bookings and been paid for photos online from it, where should I list it do you think? I have it right now in my draft as non-academic activity.

Cheers

EDIT:

Also for personal activities, what should I put under the 'organization' field?? They didn't really specify this on any of their documents

I had a question, I have some activities such as Photography which I've been paid to do should I list this as part of my employment history?

I haven't been employed full time or part time because of it but I have bookings and been paid for photos online from it, where should I list it do you think? I have it right now in my draft as non-academic activity.

Cheers

EDIT:

Also for personal activities, what should I put under the 'organization' field?? They didn't really specify this on any of their documents

I have painting as a non-academic activity, even though I've done commissioned paintings I feel it's something I do more as a hobby (for my own interests) than "employment".

Who are you putting as a verifier? I could put one of my clients but I think I'm putting my parents... they know the lengths I've gone through for it. :P Plus I've only got them down for this and for travel.

I have painting as a non-academic activity, even though I've done commissioned paintings I feel it's something I do more as a hobby (for my own interests) than "employment".

Who are you putting as a verifier? I could put one of my clients but I think I'm putting my parents... they know the lengths I've gone through for it. :P Plus I've only got them down for this and for travel.

Ya my situation is very similar it's more of a hobby but still paid in some ways. I didn't consider putting my parents but that makes sense actually. I don't know would it look bad if we put a parent for the activity? My other option is to put my friend who is a professional photographer and who I've shot with a couple times.

What are people putting for their organization for hobby related activities such as this? Lost in that regards as well

Cheers

A

Ya my situation is very similar it's more of a hobby but still paid in some ways. I didn't consider putting my parents but that makes sense actually. I don't know would it look bad if we put a parent for the activity? My other option is to put my friend who is a professional photographer and who I've shot with a couple times.

What are people putting for their organization for hobby related activities such as this? Lost in that regards as well

Cheers

A

That sounds like a good verified as well. I put my parents because painting is a skill I've been developing for a long time, and they're in the best position to describe how I've grown through it (travel, summer master classes, etc.). I could use one of my old art teachers who is now a friend, but he's elderly and not email inclined so I thought it best not to... :P Do they ever call Herodotus or just email?

Hey guys, quick question on where to slot in a feature of my application. My research group has recently finalized an international patent where I'm listed as a co-inventor. I was wondering where you guys think it should go in this application. There is no real area for me to put it in research (publication, presentation, abstract etc.). Do you think it could go into "high performance in an area of human endeavour"?

Hey guys, quick question on where to slot in a feature of my application. My research group has recently finalized an international patent where I'm listed as a co-inventor. I was wondering where you guys think it should go in this application. There is no real area for me to put it in research (publication, presentation, abstract etc.). Do you think it could go into "high performance in an area of human endeavour"?

That's pretty cool.

I'd say yes that's high performance worthy.

However, was it all submitted before June 1st? If yes then you should throw it on. If not... Well, you might not be able to due to the deadline.

Either way, that's pretty wicked.

Good luck.

That's pretty cool.

I'd say yes that's high performance worthy.

However, was it all submitted before June 1st? If yes then you should throw it on. If not... Well, you might not be able to due to the deadline.

Either way, that's pretty wicked.

Good luck.

Thanks for the quick response hking! Yeah the lawyers finalized it a month ago so I think it's good to go. Also anyone think it's interesting that there are 5 entries for Capacity to work with others while only 3 for service ethic. I would've thought that there was a greater emphasis on service ethic for non academic experiences (plus I have more volunteer activities in this area...:mad:)

I had a question:

I got the Deans Honour List this past academic year. I knew I got it when my marks came out on April 28th or May 1st (whatever the date was) cause my average and requirements for it worked out but it was on my record through SSC sometime after June 1st... Does this mean I can't put it on my application? It's pretty lame if I, and I'm sure others as well, who also got it for the past year can't put it because of a delay in their system.

For the academic session, what if the course name is not included in the list?

For example I have ISSH200, which is "Interprofessional Health and Human Service". How should I put it?

I just put Health Studies for IHHS courses, not 100% sure if its right but I felt it was the most appropriate choice. You meant IHHS right? Not ISSH :P

Hey,

I know it doesn't really mean that much, but I think it's worth putting on the app. So where do I put that I got into the Golden Key International Honours Society? I guess it is an academic award...?

Thanks

Hey,

I know it doesn't really mean that much, but I think it's worth putting on the app. So where do I put that I got into the Golden Key International Honours Society? I guess it is an academic award...?

Thanks

I think its academic award.

But...does it help? I got the invitation but I didnt pay the fee and thus Im not a member...

I just put Health Studies for IHHS courses, not 100% sure if its right but I felt it was the most appropriate choice. You meant IHHS right? Not ISSH :P

I had this confusion as well when I was entering my grades, so I ended up just picking the course code that was the closest like another poster did.

Is anyone on here claiming IB credits for their pre-reqs? Just wanted to confirm that if we did our schooling at UBC then we do not have to send in official IB transcripts right? I remember last year I did not and did not have any problems, but when I read the FAQ on the admissions website it made it seem like we could only claim these credits if we send in a paper copy of the IB records.

I put it in OMSAS as Golden Key International Honours Society- Declined, and then in the description put an explanation of it and the number of years I've been invited. I'd say only include something like that if you have the space.

Can you put awards that you've declined? I.E., major entrance scholarships to other universities that I turned down? I mean I don't think it'd add a lot to it but if I have space...

Including awards you didn't even accept would probably seem like padding.

Also Golden Key Honours Society is a joke, lol.

I wasnt going to put things I reject into my application.

Its just I thought golden key wasnt a big deal when I got that invitation so I ignored it. If it turns out to be important on the application I may think of paying the membership fee.

But seems like everyone agrees its not a big deal then I wont bother thinking about it anymore.

I put it in OMSAS as Golden Key International Honours Society- Declined, and then in the description put an explanation of it and the number of years I've been invited. I'd say only include something like that if you have the space.

Thank you. I guess I'll something else there then.

Just wanted to pop in and say... 250 characters is NOT a lot at all!

It really isn't hey? I think its good because it really makes you focus in on the important things of that job/activity but really how do I describe a job that I have had for 4 years that is different almost everyday?

Hard to tell exactly what anyone did in anyting in 250 characters.

Archived