Premed 101 Forums

2011/12 UBC Applicant Discussion: OAS is now open!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It really isn't hey? I think its good because it really makes you focus in on the important things of that job/activity but really how do I describe a job that I have had for 4 years that is different almost everyday?

Hard to tell exactly what anyone did in anyting in 250 characters.

Yeah, I'm finding explaining just what the activity is takes 125-150 character... describing how I grew through it in 100-125 characters is tough.

Whoneedsspacesorpunctuation:(theyusesomuchspace

Two tips for saving characters:

1.) Very useful: in the organization field use the full name and then the acronym in brackets. Then in your description you can refer to it by acronym only. :)

2.) Somewhat useful: use "K" abbreviations for monetary amounts. E.g., $16000 -> $16K.

In other news, I learned that my piano teacher passed away. :( Any ideas on who I can use to verify instead? I've only played for pleasure in the past couple years.

Under NAQ, the guide says not to list employment history. But can we still use some of the jobs we've had under NAQ? e.g. being a manager as an example of leadership.

If you got paid for it... Probably not.

You can list it if it's really good. But you risk having it not scored in one of the sections.

Under NAQ, the guide says not to list employment history. But can we still use some of the jobs we've had under NAQ? e.g. being a manager as an example of leadership.

http://www.med.ubc.ca/__shared/assets/Help_Guide_2011-201221092.pdf

Research, academic awards and employment history should not be included in your list of non-academic activities.

Please describe these experiences in the appropriate areas of the application. We will review your work history for

evidence of the same qualities we seek in the Non-Academic Activities section

Then why dont you put your work experience under employment since its gonna be looked at the same way anyways, and put something else in the limited space of leadership? You may get extra point

Then why don't you put your work experience under employment since its gonna be looked at the same way anyways, and put something else in the limited space of leadership? You may get extra point

Totally agree. Most of the "meat" of my application was under employment history. Don't feel like that section gets overlooked; my interview last year has gotta be proof that it doesn't. :)

I'll also second the "character saving tip" from technicity of defining acronyms in the title of the entry - worked great.

Totally agree. Most of the "meat" of my application was under employment history. Don't feel like that section gets overlooked; my interview last year has gotta be proof that it doesn't. :)

I'll also second the "character saving tip" from technicity of defining acronyms in the title of the entry - worked great.

Same here! I thought I did a lot but I realize I dont even have enough experience to fill up the limit. Cos most went to employment.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up. I'm relieved to read some of you also have more meat in your employment history. It's hard to fit everything in there too, though!... I totally thought I had more stuff to fill under the NAQ than I actually do.

Great tip about the acronyms.

My worry about this is I'm gonna have three entries with parent verifiers: painting, travel, and piano. Not sure how that will look... I mean they aren't the most hard-hitting NAQ's but still.

I'm sure it won't be a big deal, but if you're concerned about having too many parent entries, you could always ask family friends or friends of yours to verify. I did that for a few entries.

I also emailed all my verifiers with the details of what I was putting on the application (and the hours I was claiming) before I submitted to make sure they were OK vouching for me.

Does anyone know the exact deadline by which the 3 reference letters must be received by UBC?

The website says:

When do I send my reference letters?

We do not accept unsolicited reference letters. Only applicants granted interviews are required to find one community, one academic, and one additional community, academic, or professional contact to complete a specific electronic reference form.

So I just complete the OAS before August 15, and 3 reference letters would only be required in late 2012 IF I'm granted an interview? (I'm OOP)

I didn't realize the application closed so early, lol, so I'm scrambling to put it together!

Does anyone know the exact deadline by which the 3 reference letters must be received by UBC?

The website says:

So I just complete the OAS before August 15, and 3 reference letters would only be required in late 2012 IF I'm granted an interview? (I'm OOP)

I didn't realize the application closed so early, lol, so I'm scrambling to put it together!

If I remember correctly last year references were due sometime in march/early April.

If you are offered an interview they will state a clear date in the interview info package.

Good luck!

My worry about this is I'm gonna have three entries with parent verifiers: painting, travel, and piano. Not sure how that will look... I mean they aren't the most hard-hitting NAQ's but still.

Like Larva, I used a few different family members for different things. I have a sister who is married so her name is different than mine, so I thought that was pretty good too.

I think they know that we can't always have "official" verifiers for everything.

Under the "Title" section last year, I put "Parent- only available verifier for solo travel" but I'm not sure if the chars will count this year or not. Last year, the chars used in the "title" section did not count towards total character count.

Like Larva, I used a few different family members for different things. I have a sister who is married so her name is different than mine, so I thought that was pretty good too.

I think they know that we can't always have "official" verifiers for everything.

Under the "Title" section last year, I put "Parent- only available verifier for solo travel" but I'm not sure if the chars will count this year or not. Last year, the chars used in the "title" section did not count towards total character count.

Hm... it's almost like UBC is monitoring this forum. They posted this last Friday:

It is not advisable to use one contact for verification of numerous activities. Family members or close friends should not be used as verifiers except where appropriate (e.g. solo travel experiences).

Well, I can use my dad for painting since he's the one who inspired me to take it up, use my mom for piano since she's the one who ferried me back and forth to lessons/practice for years, and double up on one of them for travel (maybe my dad, because I like to paint my travels).

That should be the extent of my "less official" verifiers so hopefully I'm okay.

Thanks for all your input!

Hm... it's almost like UBC is monitoring this forum.
They are monitoring this forum.

"If you have any questions about our evaluation process, if you are wondering about prerequisites, don’t rely on what you read on the premed forum – we have read some misleading and even completely wrong statements there..."

Question about the research section on the application. I was a "research assistant" that did my own research for two summers at a hospital. I listed this under my employment, but would this also be ok to list under the research tab, even as a "research assistant". I did end up as a co-author of a published abstract.

I also listed a lab experience under my service ethic section, would it be appropriate to list this volunteer lab experience under the Research tab also since it says "significant research activity (publication, poster, abstract, presentation, research/lab experience, etc"

Thanks!

Question about the research section on the application. I was a "research assistant" that did my own research for two summers at a hospital. I listed this under my employment, but would this also be ok to list under the research tab, even as a "research assistant". I did end up as a co-author of a published abstract.

pbl, I believe this answers the quoted part of your post. The Help Guide says:

"If you were paid as a researcher, it is ok to include the experience in both the Research and Employment History sections."

I checked because I had a similar question. :)

Odd question, but are any of you using point form for NAQ?....

Archived