Premed 101 Forums

Does appearance wrt sexual orientation affect admission decisions?

This could be a stupid question but I was wondering if people can instantly tell from the way you look that you are a lesbian( i.e. from the way you dress, or if you've got a really short haircut like men's haircut, etc), does that lower your chances of admission?

I have absolutely no idea how that would work to be honest :) There are just a lot of people in business attire being interviewed with all types of hair styles etc.

But even to expand it let's just say you flat out tell them you are a lesbian, would it make a difference? I would seriously doubt it - actually the person that interviewed me was a lesbian (she is pretty open about it but since it never came up in the interview I simply found out later during an one of our small group discussions she led later on). On a more formal note of course every school has their own strict policy on not judging on the basis of sexual orientation.

In general, yes there are some stereotypes for gays and lesbians, but do they really only apply to that particular population? I have straight friends that you would think were gay, gay friends you'd never know weren't straight. Considering how being a doctor involves helping all kinds of people, it would be hypocritical to discriminate wrt sexual orientation for admissions, especially considering you can never really know without asking. Looking professional is what's needed.

Well, there are people who can actually read a person's real orientation – not in the way you dress 'coz there are cross-dressers that are totally straight. They are just good at determining “differences”. Anyway, I don't think a person's orientation must affect his/her admission unless you'll go for a religious-type of school. I mean there are some that are actually strict on admitting students with a different "way of life". Some were afraid that it may affect others' belief so they are not accepting one. They may not be vocal about it but you can observe that some have hidden policies like that.

Gaydar skillz! (I honestly can't believe that I just added a 'z' at the end of a word, *palm face*)

To contribute something relevant to the discussion, i really don't think most interviewers would discriminate. When it comes to interview attire, dress professionally but not uncomfortably. I.e. don't wear make-up and skirts if you're not comfortable just to try and hide...that will only make things worse. It's important to be yourself and to be confident in yourself and what you can contribute to the medical profession, regardless of sexual orientation.

Yeah, like others have said, just dress professionally and you should be fine. There are plenty of woman who have super short hair and dress in a more masculine way of all sexual orientations. It's fine to not wear a skirt. I wore a pants suit and I'm not a lesbian. Just wear a suit, keep the colors pretty neutral, keep the length long (close to knee length) if you do decide to wear a skirt, wear dress shoes, don't wear much jewelry, wear minimal (or no) make-up, and keep your hair simple. And also like others have said, even if they do know or think that you're a lesbian, that shouldn't hurt your chances of admission because med schools have policies against discrimination and there are certainly gay and lesbian med students and doctors. Just wear something that you are comfortable in and that is appropriate for the occasion. As long as your clothes aren't more memorable than what you have to say, you should be fine. :)

Dress professionally and you will be fine. Many heterosexual females prefer shorter than longer hair. If you come to an interview wearing something you might see at a pride parade, then yeah, that will probably lower your chances.

Pretty much this. According to research on interviews, being physically unattractive would have a much greater impact than if they know your sexual orientation, so just try to look nice and theres nothing more you can do.

This could be a stupid question but I was wondering if people can instantly tell from the way you look that you are a lesbian( i.e. from the way you dress, or if you've got a really short haircut like men's haircut, etc), does that lower your chances of admission?

I think not unless they can detect your orientation easily. Some have the talent to smell the difference but others don't. As for the admission thingy, they should not base it whether on is different. That is a discrimination, I suppose.

i think it could affect ur chances depending on who is interviewing you. although it could be defined as discrimination for someone to view your sexual orientation negatively, im sure it can and still happens frequently. just like how ugly people are subconsciously discriminated against in the workplace and life in general, you run the risk of being discriminated against by flaunting the fact that yore lesbian

I'd expect there to be no influence but people being people, I'd advise against anything that makes one stand out from the norm.
I agree with this. I mean, we all know med schools shouldn't discriminate because discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. is wrong and all that, but the reality is that some of the more conservative, possibly older, interviewers may have some sort of pre-conceived subconscious prejudice against people who are outside the "norm" of things. In that case, it is best to dress and act conservatively so that such a bias doesn't affect the interviewer's ranking of you.

Archived