Premed 101 Forums

Upper Year Psych Courses @ YorkU

lol that's one of the few I don't know too much about...I think I saw the syllabus and didn't like the mark breakdown. For me the easiest upper year psychs were sensation and perception II, abnormal, behav mod, cognition, and psych of women. Easy A +'s! :)

how easy? I was thinking of taking psych courses as birdie courses, any one in particular you'd highly recommend? =P

Women's pysch with Noreen Stuckles was pretty easy, if you read the book and take good notes, you should be able to get an A/A+. But If i remember correctly, the tests included short answers (though quite straightforward and from the class notes).

I found health psych to be pretty easy as well.

Does year level matter? If not, go for social psych, motivation, or personality. I'd crack open the book the night before for all of these classes, and still got A+'s. Otherwise, the other one's I listed are decently easy.

So decided to take social psyc with McCann. Is McCann easy?

lol that's one of the few I don't know too much about...I think I saw the syllabus and didn't like the mark breakdown. For me the easiest upper year psychs were sensation and perception II, abnormal, behav mod, cognition, and psych of women. Easy A +'s! :)

Psych of Women, how is this an easy A+ ? :P

Introduction to Research Methods, Social Psychology, Biological Basis of Behaviour, Intermediate Research Methods Summer, Abnormal Psychology, Cognition, Psychology of Women, Independent Study, Independent Study

Out of those, can anyone help me decide which would be the easiest for a 2nd year (now 2nd year student) to ace in the summer?

basically, keep in mind I'm still not very good at things that require experience lol.

Have you done both bio and social? What are they like? I'm trying to get a feel of them before I resort to ratemyprof.

And yeah actually, I even called them and the girl just told me to try a week after the class has started. I don't like that idea!! lol

Pretty easy...just read the text and make up stuff for the SA, even if you think its garbage.

LOL so true, I remember during the first Psych of Women test - I had no clue how anything we had learned was related to the question being asked. So I wrote all these random facts that we had talked about in class and somehow tried to make it fit the question being asked. Was sure I failed the short answer and ended up getting 100% (!!) on that section. So my advice to you is write until your hand is ready to fall off

I get annoyed when people say Psychology is just meaningless fluff, as I really gained a lot from my Psych courses. But psych of women, though......

See above posts for social lol. I haven't taken bio basis, but I've taken two courses (sensation & perception I, stats) with Mapp and he is great, plus with your background in bio and kin it'll be pretty much review I think. Did you take psych1010 though? It's sort of a prerequisite...

lol Ughhhh I completely forgot about prerequisites I got so excited thinking I finally had an s2 class I could take.

I can take 1010 in the summer but I'm really not down for a 6 credit course in the summer. And that class was so brutal lol, I dropped it a month in. I find it hard to actually be involved in a class like that cos in my head I just kept thinking "this is seriously such bs." Alot of what she was saying seemed to go against basic things we were learning in kine lol.

But yeah, then I guess I'll have to stick with philosophy lol. Darn.

See above posts for social lol. I haven't taken bio basis, but I've taken two courses (sensation & perception I, stats) with Mapp and he is great, plus with your background in bio and kin it'll be pretty much review I think. Did you take psych1010 though? It's sort of a prerequisite...

Haha that's what I did too! And we got bonus marks so I got over 100%. I remember rambling on about Freud's various strange theories at one point, even though it wasn't part of the course.

Psych is great- I was considering doing a phd in it at one point, actually.

Nice! I think what I didnt like about Psych of Women is that it is actually more of a sociology course than a Psych course. That plus its obvious bias against men. I don't think a course which took an equally strong pro-male viewpoint would be allowed. Yes, it makes you more aware of issues affecting women, but at a certain point it gets a little much when they so obviously go overboard.

:(

ALl the coruses I wanted are full.. alredy.. srsly How can microbiology be ful, when Im a third year biomed and my enrollment was today.. I logged in at exactly 3:30 and put my codes in.. yet Microbiol was full even before that!

:(

ALl the coruses I wanted are full.. alredy.. srsly How can microbiology be ful, when Im a third year biomed and my enrollment was today.. I logged in at exactly 3:30 and put my codes in.. yet Microbiol was full even before that!

HAHAHA thats what happened to me last year... I got a seat in micro this year tho! A lot of my 4th year friends are taking it too. Reproduction and Parasitology were full 3 days before my enrollment window and im a 4th year lol.

HAHAHA thats what happened to me last year... I got a seat in micro this year tho! A lot of my 4th year friends are taking it too. Reproduction and Parasitology were full 3 days before my enrollment window and im a 4th year lol.

its outragous.. york sucks, again

lol Jk

SO let me know if you or your friends decide to drop micro :(

I need this because its the only 4 credit course.. and I need to balance the current topics in biology course.. which is only 2 credits.!~

ok U know what, Im gnna make a new upper years bio courses at yorku thread..

• 2 months later...

Oh my. You people really need to learn how to work the York system and flip it around.

Charmer: Call the office of psychology. Be polite. Tell them you desperately need that psychology. Tell them you desperately want to get into the course. If they still don't let you in, ask them HOW you can get in. It'll probably be "Go and talk to the professor", at which point you take your books and your bags and go to the first psych class and approach the prof AFTER THE FIRST CLASS "Can I please get the permission to enrol in this course? I am really interested and I'd really appreciate it if you made a spot for me. *sad puppy dog eyes*" This always worked for me. Always.

Bored: Do the same with the bio department or the prof (see above).

You guys are letting York manipulate your life. I've learned how to manipulate the system in my 2nd year. Learn how to be politely pushy and you'll get FAR at York. Trust me.

Didn't they open up on July 29th? If you are still having trouble, go to the psych office in person. They have the nicest and most helpful admin people, only other dept that's as good is kine.

Which courses are you trying to take? And who are the profs?

Last year, I just called them and they opened up a spot for me... I don't know why those seats are always reserved tho.

But nvm, the course got full :rolleyes: doesn't even take a day... I wanted to get into educational psyc. But I'm trying to get into any of those second year courses now lol. Just dropped english and need something... I enrolled into KINE 4370 (Meditation Practices) for now.

Oh my. You people really need to learn how to work the York system and flip it around.

Charmer: Call the office of psychology. Be polite. Tell them you desperately need that psychology. Tell them you desperately want to get into the course. If they still don't let you in, ask them HOW you can get in. It'll probably be "Go and talk to the professor", at which point you take your books and your bags and go to the first psych class and approach the prof AFTER THE FIRST CLASS "Can I please get the permission to enrol in this course? I am really interested and I'd really appreciate it if you made a spot for me. *sad puppy dog eyes*" This always worked for me. Always.

Bored: Do the same with the bio department or the prof (see above).

You guys are letting York manipulate your life. I've learned how to manipulate the system in my 2nd year. Learn how to be politely pushy and you'll get FAR at York. Trust me.

lol thats too much work... I rather pick some other course... I was taking it as an elective anyways :P

Archived