Premed 101 Forums

American med school requirements

Hey guys,

So i'm already aware that generally med schools in the states require a full year of bio, organic chem, general chem, physics and english.

Is that for most of the american medical schools?

My cGPA is already very marginal and having half a year of physics and half a year of general chem left in order to fulfill these American pre-reqs, I'm kind of nervous. I go to UofT where the physics and upper year physical chem courses are notoriously difficult:(.

I'm keeping the States option open in case a few years down the road I think I will move there, but on the whole, I want to stay in Canada.

Would you say it's a good idea for me to take those two courses (half a year of both physics and phys chem) in order to keep this door open? ... Or are there med schools in the States that will accept applicants without these, if they have everything else?

And also, would I be able to do these courses online after finishing undergrad, in the event that I want to move to the States?

Thanks a lot in advance for any input. I just don't want my cGPA to suffer anymore!

What is your cGPA?

Hey guys,

So i'm already aware that generally med schools in the states require a full year of bio, organic chem, general chem, physics and english.

Is that for most of the american medical schools?

My cGPA is already very marginal and having half a year of physics and half a year of general chem left in order to fulfill these American pre-reqs, I'm kind of nervous. I go to UofT where the physics and upper year physical chem courses are notoriously difficult:(.

I'm keeping the States option open in case a few years down the road I think I will move there, but on the whole, I want to stay in Canada.

Would you say it's a good idea for me to take those two courses (half a year of both physics and phys chem) in order to keep this door open? ... Or are there med schools in the States that will accept applicants without these, if they have everything else?

And also, would I be able to do these courses online after finishing undergrad, in the event that I want to move to the States?

Thanks a lot in advance for any input. I just don't want my cGPA to suffer anymore!

Well, I'm going to apply this year about a 3.77 (just completed third year) and by the looks of my courses for next year, I can hope to raise that to about a 3.8ish by graduation. However, that's considering I pull A-s for those physics and chem courses that I mentioned, and i don't know if that's doable. Also, my ECs lean on the generic end although I'm trying to add to them.

Thanks for any input:)

What is your cGPA?

Well, I'm going to apply this year about a 3.77 (just completed third year) and by the looks of my courses for next year, I can hope to raise that to about a 3.8ish by graduation. However, that's considering I pull A-s for those physics and chem courses that I mentioned, and i don't know if that's doable. Also, my ECs lean on the generic end although I'm trying to add to them.

Thanks for any input:)

I am not too keen for American schools but I am pretty sure that 3.77 is not ''marginal'', it is high enough. People put too much emphasis on the GPA whereas the MCAT plays a bigger role...

I am not too keen for American schools but I am pretty sure that 3.77 is not ''marginal'', it is high enough. People put too much emphasis on the GPA whereas the MCAT plays a bigger role...

A 3.77 or even a 3.8 is far from stellar though. And a lot of schools look at the MCATs simply as a cut-off so even if I did superb in them, for schools like UofT it doesn't mean that much more.

Lol, I'm really not keen on going to the States BUT I'm too scared to shut the door on the States simply because of a couple of pre-req courses. If I can't make it into a Canadian school after two application cycles, maybe I'll start looking at the States then and I don't want to have to be stuck because of a couple of courses.

A 3.77 or even a 3.8 is far from stellar though. And a lot of schools look at the MCATs simply as a cut-off so even if I did superb in them, for schools like UofT it doesn't mean that much more.

Lol, I'm really not keen on going to the States BUT I'm too scared to shut the door on the States simply because of a couple of pre-req courses. If I can't make it into a Canadian school after two application cycles, maybe I'll start looking at the States then and I don't want to have to be stuck because of a couple of courses.

If it can cheer you up, I got a friend who got into UoT with a 3.48 cGPA. He was a special case though and had recommendations from highly placed people connected to the faculty. He has a terrific personality but for some reasons or another his prof did not give a lot of As so even though he was an overachiever his cGPA was low.

I'm happy for your friend:) That's even below the 3.6 cut-off required at UofT! But unfortunately, I don't have any connections or am in no way a special case :P So just trying to keep plan B open.

Thanks for your input:D

If it can cheer you up, I got a friend who got into UoT with a 3.48 cGPA. He was a special case though and had recommendations from highly placed people connected to the faculty. He has a terrific personality but for some reasons or another his prof did not give a lot of As so even though he was an overachiever his cGPA was low.

Archived