Premed 101 Forums

police records check

quick question to all those from toronto - did u get ur police records check done? im tryin to get mine done and mcmaster's telling me that i have to go to hamilton so they can witness me signing the "consent to disclosure" form :S and then i hand it in to the toronto police...it seems really kinda ridiculous to take a day off work just to drive there to sign a form, im just wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar situation? are they seriously gonna make alll the new students from toronto drive down to hamilton just to sign a form?

that does seem pretty ridiculous. i just went to a police department (in thornhill) and got mine sent to my house. i still haven't handed it in to mac yet though.. not sure if i did it wrong. anyone else do this yet?

It completely depends on the police service. The South Simcoe Police where I live requires a signature from the organization requiring the criminal check, because we are required to get a VSS check. If it was a regular check then no signature is required. But every police service is different. I think your best bet is to bring the form Mac sent us to your local police station and determine exactly what their requirements are for obtaining the check.

Regardless of the police service you will have to go to the service that covers the area you live in. If you have lived in multiple juisdictions in the past couple of years, the check will take longer to complete, because they will send away to the services covering your old address(es) to get them to do a check as well. You should bring your driver's licence or some other form of identification to prove your identity and address.

Also, many services will require you to pick up the results of the check, and will require tou show ID to do so. However, many will also allow you to sign a waiver allowing another specific person to pick up your check.

Archived