Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist (and general UofS talk) thread

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats iicii!

Did they tell you where on the OOP waiting list you were? How many on the OOP waiting list total

Im on Sask waiting list, middle third of 33 total blah:( Does anyone know how the IP and OOP waitlists work? Is everyone one on the same list? Two different lists?

....this is cruel punishment

WOW, your average is freaking me out...I guess time to apply to Caribbean...

hey Aishley! I have been talking to some of my friends in 4th year. Apparently there are only approx. 250 give or take a few residency seats allocated to Canadians with non-Canadian MD degrees. that compares to about 3000 residency spots for Canadian MD degree holders. Only around 2500 medical students graduate each year giving a surplus of residency spots. Unfortunately, those extra seats if unfilled, some wont be even considered for non-Canadian MD degree holders.

So my advice to you is, keep fighting for that competitive 2 year average. It may take a while to become an MD but it'll be worth it.

I know Caribbean looks appealing now, but it's going to be hard, but not impossible to do residency here in Canada.

OH?...lol they did not...it not..here's what my email said

Dear iicii:

The Admissions Committee, College of Medicine, has met and made its selection decisions for 2011. The Committee has placed your name on the waiting list for acceptance. In the event that a successful applicant declines to accept a position, those on the waiting list will be contacted in order. Please note that no further information will be disclosed regarding placement/rank on the waiting list. However, further information regarding performance in the Multiple Mini Interview process will be sent to all applicants by email within the next two weeks.

Past experience shows that students may change their plans about entering the College of Medicine as late as mid-August. As you will be notified by telephone and/or email if a position opens, please ensure that you keep us informed of your current contact information.

..so maybe they'll tell WL ppl about performance later?

Congrats iicii!

Did they tell you where on the OOP waiting list you were? How many on the OOP waiting list total

Im on Sask waiting list, middle third of 33 total blah:( Does anyone know how the IP and OOP waitlists work? Is everyone one on the same list? Two different lists?

....this is cruel punishment

Thanks iicii for posting that. Mine was a bit different, see below. I am now thinking that the IP and OOP wait lists are different hence "33 sask applicants"

The Admissions Committee, College of Medicine, has met and made its selection decisions for 2011. The Committee has placed your name on the waiting list for acceptance. In the event that a successful applicant declines to accept a position, those on the waiting list will be contacted in order.

You will be interested in knowing that there are 33 Saskatchewan applicants placed on the waiting list. Your position is in the middle third. Please realize that each year varies significantly in terms of how many students are offered admission from the waiting list – in the last five years this has been as few as 5 and as many as 18 offers. As well, it will assist you to know that students who have been offered admission have a deadline of May 31, 2011 to respond; therefore, the earliest a waiting list offer would be made is this date. In the meantime you are advised to proceed with any plans that you have for registration in other programs for the next year.

OR.... is the wait list actually larger than 33 and includes OOP! omg

there is a separate wl for OOP i believe. but not to worry, USask usually goes through their entire wl for OOP (last year they only accepted 3 OOP students). since OOP and IP are different pools, the WLs should also be separate. Good luck!

OH?...lol they did not...it not..here's what my email said

Dear iicii:

The Admissions Committee, College of Medicine, has met and made its selection decisions for 2011. The Committee has placed your name on the waiting list for acceptance. In the event that a successful applicant declines to accept a position, those on the waiting list will be contacted in order. Please note that no further information will be disclosed regarding placement/rank on the waiting list. However, further information regarding performance in the Multiple Mini Interview process will be sent to all applicants by email within the next two weeks.

Past experience shows that students may change their plans about entering the College of Medicine as late as mid-August. As you will be notified by telephone and/or email if a position opens, please ensure that you keep us informed of your current contact information.

..so maybe they'll tell WL ppl about performance later?

hey Aishley! I have been talking to some of my friends in 4th year. Apparently there are only approx. 250 give or take a few residency seats allocated to Canadians with non-Canadian MD degrees. that compares to about 3000 residency spots for Canadian MD degree holders. Only around 2500 medical students graduate each year giving a surplus of residency spots. Unfortunately, those extra seats if unfilled, some wont be even considered for non-Canadian MD degree holders.

So my advice to you is, keep fighting for that competitive 2 year average. It may take a while to become an MD but it'll be worth it.

I know Caribbean looks appealing now, but it's going to be hard, but not impossible to do residency here in Canada.

Thanks for your encouragement, but honestly, I only have one 95% in one of the fourth level Biochem courses :o , which is the part of a full course load, so I am not sure as to how one can keep 95+ average for years....Brilliant indeed!!! :D

Wait List ugh:(

I think I speak for all the waitlisters:p if any of you are declining your UofS offers let us know! It's going to be a brutal next couple weeks.

Agreed. I got top third of the 33 sask. pool people. Can anyone comment on my chances?

Thanks!

Agreed. I got top third of the 33 sask. pool people. Can anyone comment on my chances?

Thanks!

Based off the last couple of years, your chances are quite high. In the last two years at least, everyone from first third has gotten in.

Alright so this is what happens with waitlists. There are two waitlists. One that has only IP applicants, and one that has OOP applicants. IP waitlist is split into three thirds, first, second and third. First third - chances are high to get in. Second third - really all depends where you are (ie whether you are closer to position 12 or to position 22) last third - make plans for next year, sorry to say, because there is virtually no chance.

Now in the past couple of years, the college as exhausted the entire OOP waitlist. Therefore, the seats that were not filled by OOP then flip to IP applicants, and are offered to the applicants on the IP waitlist. Last year there were 4 of 8 (or 10 can't remember if they changed it) OOP spots filled. that means that the rest were offered to the IP waitlist.

makes sense?

Agreed! I have EC coming out of my ears and I found the interviews to be non-personal. Despite interjecting a few comments about my ECs I dont think it made a significant impact on my interview.

Great. I find Sask attempts to make the most "objective" selection of candidates. However, I think they fail miserably losing candidates with great extra-curricular and personal qualities due to their lack of information about candidates.

donno if this helps but I was given a spot off the waitlist on may 24th and I just found out I'm under the 2nd decile.

Nope. But probably somewhere between 8 and 16 on the OOP list, given that I got accepted two weeks after the initial offers.

Archived