Premed 101 Forums

Question about employment opportunity

This may be a stupid question, but I've really been wondering about it

I've been accepted into medicine at Memorial University. I really want to be a doctor, but I REALLY do not want to stay in Newfoundland.

I'm just wondering if I'd have a hard time finding work outside of NL (still in Canada) if I went to MUN. I just don't want to be stuck here. I'd like to be very flexible about picking where I'd like to work, and maybe it'd be better if I tried applying to a bigger and more well-known university such as McGill or U of T? Sort of wondering the same thing about residency, would I be stuck doing my residency in Newfoundland if I went to MUN? Like, what are the main aspects places look for when accepting residents?

Would appreciate any kind of feedback. Thanks

This may be a stupid question, but I've really been wondering about it

I've been accepted into medicine at Memorial University. I really want to be a doctor, but I REALLY do not want to stay in Newfoundland.

I'm just wondering if I'd have a hard time finding work outside of NL (still in Canada) if I went to MUN. I just don't want to be stuck here. I'd like to be very flexible about picking where I'd like to work, and maybe it'd be better if I tried applying to a bigger and more well-known university such as McGill or U of T? Sort of wondering the same thing about residency, would I be stuck doing my residency in Newfoundland if I went to MUN? Like, what are the main aspects places look for when accepting residents?

Would appreciate any kind of feedback. Thanks

hey buddy, congrats on getting into MUN! getting in to med school anywhere in Canada is an accomplishment so I wouldn't turn this down to apply again next year; you may not get in again.

that being said, you aren't at a disadvantage for going to a school that doesn't have a big name or reputation attached to it. the resident matching system (CaRMS) is fair game for anyone. if you really want to get outside of NFLD for residency, then your best bet is to set up your 3rd and 4th year electives in locations you might be interested in practicing: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa, etc...

the only tricky part is that sometimes you need an "in" to get electives at these more in-demand places so try to look for well-connected preceptors within your med program who can help you out with that. also, since you have summers off you could try doing some observerships and research in bigger cities. the more interest you show in living and being connected to a city prior to CaRMS time, the more likely it will be that you will get matched into that location.

good luck! I think some other members here have more specific advice too since they are already residents.

Whatever school you go to in Canada leads to a wonderful thing called an MD.

You can choose to go somewhere else for residency, but you'll probably want to decide early on where you want to do residency. Then, once you've decided, set up electives through that school or hospital or however you set up electives (I think it's through the school). Do your electives, get to know the programs and network so you can get LOR's for CaRM's. Let those places know you want to match to their program and then rank them high... the rest is up to the ole computer in the sky.

Or, if you end up matching in Newfoundland... do your residency there and then relocate. If you have a Canadian MD and Canadian residency training, pretty sure you can go anywhere you want in Canada with little trouble. Might cost you a bit of money to set up shop in a new province, but lots of people do it.

So, to answer your question... you should be able to go anywhere you want in Canada provided the job market for your specialty isn't saturated, or you aren't choosing a ridic competitive residency in a prime location with a pretty average app.

Good luck and congratulations!

Archived