Premed 101 Forums

Us Schools and Carving

I scored a 22 reading, 18 bio, 19 chem, 18 total science 19 PAT and 20 AA but a 5 on carving.

My GPA is a 3.3 here in Canada.

Is it true that US Schools don't look at carving scores?

Also I want to apply ASAP but would I be able to exchange a new DAT score if I write the American one?

What are my chances of getting in look like?

Thanks

your AA average is good enough, PAT is kinda low. US schools dont even have carving section on their DAT-some will not accept a Canadian DAT though-so make sure you ask them.

GPA should be good for most US schools-except the top ones-Just look at their admission averages. Also most US schools you have to be graduated-or graduating next year.

Make sure youre able to afford the US schools before you apply. (ie. you have someone that can cosign a loan for you)

your AA average is pretty good, PAT is kinda low. US schools dont even have carving section on their DAT-some will not accept a Canadian DAT though-so make sure you ask them.

GPA should be good for most US schools-except the top ones-Just look at their admission averages. Also most US schools you have to be graduated-or graduating next year.

Make sure youre able to afford the US schools before you apply. (ie. you have someone that can cosign a loan for you)

Thanks. I'm entering my 4th year this year so I want to be applying right now haha.

Some marks I'm not too happy about which is why I'm trying to get in the US DAT before applying but I believe it will take time away from me writing a Personal Statement which I think is more important at this time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I actually disagree with zap_man.

PAT : 19 , It is not bad and I think it is average and should be enough for most schools.

Total Science: 18 , Very LOW !!! Might Concern them ( read the rest of my post).

AA: 20 , Average and Good enough.

RC: 22, Very Good.

GPA: 3.3 , on the low part and will bring your chances significantly down.

Science GPA: What is your sGPA calculated by ADDSAS ??? Because you have a low Sciences in your DAT and your over all GPA is also low 3.3, I hope you have a high sGPA to compensate .

Degree: Do you have your degree?

Volunteer work ?

Shadowing ?

Research ?

If you have your degree, above 3.4 science GPA, some V Work and some shadowing and research experience, then I say you have OK chance of getting in, NOT great and NOT impossible. You need to apply to right schools and Get Lucky.

I actually disagree with zap_man.

PAT : 19 , It is not bad and I think it is average and should be enough for most schools.

Total Science: 18 , Very LOW !!! Might Concern them ( read the rest of my post).

AA: 20 , Average and Good enough.

RC: 22, Very Good.

GPA: 3.3 , on the low part and will bring your chances significantly down.

Science GPA: What is your sGPA calculated by ADDSAS ??? Because you have a low Sciences in your DAT and your over all GPA is also low 3.3, I hope you have a high sGPA to compensate .

Degree: Do you have your degree?

Volunteer work ?

Shadowing ?

Research ?

If you have your degree, above 3.4 science GPA, some V Work and some shadowing and research experience, then I say you have OK chance of getting in, NOT great and NOT impossible. You need to apply to right schools and Get Lucky.

I will be getting my degree after my 4th year in Medical Sciences

I currently volunteer at a lab in school, been doing so since October and will continue to do so until I graduate. I have also tutored, volunteered to play in musicals (I play the sax) and various others.

I'm currently looking for a place to shadow - having no real connections to dentists is a difficulty.

I will be aiming for a 3.7 GPA this year.

I'm thinking of writing the American DAT in a couple weeks but I don't know if its worth it considering the time to process everything.

I will be getting my degree after my 4th year in Medical Sciences

I currently volunteer at a lab in school, been doing so since October and will continue to do so until I graduate. I have also tutored, volunteered to play in musicals (I play the sax) and various others.

I'm currently looking for a place to shadow - having no real connections to dentists is a difficulty.

I will be aiming for a 3.7 GPA this year.

I'm thinking of writing the American DAT in a couple weeks but I don't know if its worth it considering the time to process everything.

Perfect. The degree will definitely help.

Your research and V-Work is going to be very beneficial.

3.7 GPA and UPWARD Trend is huge, make sure you do that. Even if it may not help this year ( since they do most of their interviews before Jan and the latest by end of Jan), It will help you next year.

Pay tons of attention to your personal statement. Make it a Kick ass one.

Get great ref letters.

Apply Early.

Do Write the American DAT , Latest by end of July, It will take up to 3 weeks to get to schools and ....

Apply to 12+ schools, Just on top of my head, do the following:

Boston, NYU, USC, USN, UNLV, Western, Midwestern ( Both), Temple, Indiana, Case, Nova, UoP ( if you raised your PAT score, they are very big on good PAT), Tuft, Chicago, ...

Hope this help.

3.7 GPA and UPWARD Trend is huge, make sure you do that. Even if it may not help this year ( since they do most of their interviews before Jan and the latest by end of Jan), It will help you next year.

Get great ref letters.

Apply Early.

Do Write the American DAT , Latest by end of July, It will take up to 3 weeks to get to schools and ....

Boston, NYU, USC, USN, UNLV, Western, Midwestern ( Both), Temple, Indiana, Case, Nova, UoP ( if you raised your PAT score, they are very big on good PAT), Tuft, Chicago, ...

Hope this help.

Thanks so much for the advice.

If I could ask, just what consists of a kick ass PS? I'm just kind of confused on exactly what to write in here.

I would also like to say that be weary of schools which will accept the Canadian DAT, but have a stipulation such as requiring a minimum score in every section of the DAT, including carving. Detroit Mercy has a policy like this. Also in your case be sure to apply very early, getting everything online on AADSAS is easy, its the transcript and DAT score mailing and letters of recommendation which take the most time. AADSAS wont mail out the application till all of those items are received. And be mindful of the Canada Post labour dispute, if it happens, be prepared to fork over extra cash to your university and CDA to send it via courier!

Get great ref letters.

Apply Early.

Hope this help.

I heard Tufts isn't taking internationals anymore for their DMD/DDS program and I think your GPA is a little low for Case. The rest of the schools look good.

I've been accepted to detroit mercy with an 8 on carving, so I don't believe there is any minimum there.

I would also like to say that be weary of schools which will accept the Canadian DAT, but have a stipulation such as requiring a minimum score in every section of the DAT, including carving. Detroit Mercy has a policy like this. Also in your case be sure to apply very early, getting everything online on AADSAS is easy, its the transcript and DAT score mailing and letters of recommendation which take the most time. AADSAS wont mail out the application till all of those items are received. And be mindful of the Canada Post labour dispute, if it happens, be prepared to fork over extra cash to your university and CDA to send it via courier!

I've been accepted to detroit mercy with an 8 on carving, so I don't believe there is any minimum there.

Thats interesting, I had a 14 on carving, 22AA, 22RC and 22TS and they explicitly told me that because my carving was not atleast a 20 they could not even offer me an interview!

I just applied to Mercy out of 3rd year university. My stats were something just over 4.0 on the 4.3 scale (AADSAS calculations), 3.96 on the 4.0 scale(3.9ish canadian GPA), and 20AA, 20 PAT, and that DAT my carving score was like a 6...

Yes, most (if not all) American school do NOT look at carving. So you have no problem there.

I had your GPA and I got 1 interview although my dat was better (also Canadian citizen). I think you should definitely apply.

Keep your grades as high as possible next semester, you can update AADSAS in January I think. ....

Yes, most (if not all) American school do NOT look at carving. So you have no problem there.

I had your GPA and I got 1 interview although my dat was better (also Canadian citizen). I think you should definitely apply.

Keep your grades as high as possible next semester, you can update AADSAS in January I think. ....

Was that the only interview you got?

That's a big downer considering you had a higher DAT mark then me. :(

Hope this help.

Is there any other schools then these ones? Those make about 12 schools and I wish to apply to around 14.

Archived