Premed 101 Forums

Information about IAU Medical School-Saint Lucia

Hello All

I just came from information session for IAU Medical school at Saint Lucia. They give us so much information that it seems to be too good to be true. Can anyone provide me with any REAL information on this school.

This is what they told us:

1) 17 K per year ( REAL CHEAP)

2) No MCAT !!!!

3) Only 2 years in Saint Lucia

4) 90% residency at Chicago Illinois

5) The Other 2 Year mostly work in US hospitals

Is this really TRUE ??

haven't you always been interested in dental school?

**motives questionable**

Hello All

I just came from information session for IAU Medical school at Saint Lucia. They give us so much information that it seems to be too good to be true. Can anyone provide me with any REAL information on this school.

This is what they told us:

1) 17 K per year ( REAL CHEAP)

2) No MCAT !!!!

3) Only 2 years in Saint Lucia

4) 90% residency at Chicago Illinois

5) The Other 2 Year mostly work in US hospitals

Is this really TRUE ??

http://www.sgu.edu/pdf/sgu-facts-are-clear.pdf

It's just a bit concerning, the school you mentioned (IAU) isn't even mentioned in this particular comparison published by SGU (I realize it might be bias). You have to take all information you receive at these Caribbean Medical School Seminars with a grain of salt. I've heard through the grape vine that some of these schools that claim a particular percentage of residency match, enforce a screening exam before they let you write the USLME. I somewhat question the validity of this, but it doesn't seem far-fetched.

The fact that there is no MCAT for the school should raise some from flags. You might also hear facts from current students about receiving placement in a hospital don't make the mistake of confusing residency, with clerkship they are two distinct periods of your career. Finally, this school's admission process seems very similar to this school and I've heard it's on the verge of losing its accreditation http://www.windsor.edu/.

Best of luck in your application process, it's easy to get persuaded by these schools that throw ridiculous statistics at you, but at least you took the time to go ahead and verify the information. In the grand scheme of things even if it takes you 1 extra year of undergrad to get into a decent school in the states or even SGU or the others listed in that pdf, it's a better move than attending a school like this IMO.

haven't you always been interested in dental school?

**motives questionable**

I actually have but I also came across this school when I went to their information session and it got my curious.

I am not even sure what you mean by " Motives questionable" ??!!

What kind of motives would I possibility have other than get some information about this school !!!!!

http://www.sgu.edu/pdf/sgu-facts-are-clear.pdf

It's just a bit concerning, the school you mentioned (IAU) isn't even mentioned in this particular comparison published by SGU (I realize it might be bias). You have to take all information you receive at these Caribbean Medical School Seminars with a grain of salt. I've heard through the grape vine that some of these schools that claim a particular percentage of residency match, enforce a screening exam before they let you write the USLME. I somewhat question the validity of this, but it doesn't seem far-fetched.

The fact that there is no MCAT for the school should raise some from flags. You might also hear facts from current students about receiving placement in a hospital don't make the mistake of confusing residency, with clerkship they are two distinct periods of your career. Finally, this school's admission process seems very similar to this school and I've heard it's on the verge of losing its accreditation http://www.windsor.edu/.

Best of luck in your application process, it's easy to get persuaded by these schools that throw ridiculous statistics at you, but at least you took the time to go ahead and verify the information. In the grand scheme of things even if it takes you 1 extra year of undergrad to get into a decent school in the states or even SGU or the others listed in that pdf, it's a better move than attending a school like this IMO.

Thank you for your post. Many valid information and insights. I am not sure what you mean by residency versus clerkship in here.

Someone else also mentioned the "Screening Exam" to me and point out that many of their students can not pass that and hence, the 90% or ... does not really mean that 90% of the students who started the school get there and in reality is 40-50%. However, they did not have any creditable sources or ...

I would avoid any school like the plague if it isn't accredited in the US. This school is an unknown quantity in a third world country with no credibility or established reputation. Anybody and their dog can open a medical school in these developing countries and get automatic 'accreditation' by their host country (because it means $$$ for the economy), which is the only criteria you need to be listed on the WHO/FAIMER list of approved medical schools.

That WHO list is all Canada and most US states require to say on paper that your medical school education was valid. Some states in the US have recognized this error in judgment and have taken the steps to actually visit foreign schools and determine if they really are of a high enough quality to trust their grads. The only schools in the Caribbean that have been able to get accreditation after site visits by US medical boards are St. George's, Saba, AUC, and Ross.

I would avoid any school like the plague if it isn't accredited in the US. .

Thank you for your input but Aren't they also approved by WHO and accredited in the US ?? I thought this is what I was told in their presentation !!

Thank you for your input but Aren't they also approved by WHO and accredited in the US ?? I thought this is what I was told in their presentation !!

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post above. The WHO does not accredit medical schools; the country in which the school operates accredits the school and the WHO then lists all those schools which have been accredited by their local governments. Most states just accept grads from WHO-listed schools, but some like California, NY, Texas, FL do not and only accept schools they have accredited themselves (or piggyback off California's list).

Archived