Premed 101 Forums

High performance in an area of human endeavor

Am I the only one here who does not have anything for this section :(

I know many that did not have anything, don't worry about it. You could try to put something that is somewhat relevant in there. I had received a hard-to-get leadership award ( with money :) ) and I put that in there because I didn't have anything else.

what exactly is supposed to be put in this category? Can local sports tournaments be added here?

Others have said triathlons and other major sport activities or advanced accreditation in music etc.

I had nothing for that section in my last application and know of many other people who had nothing listed in there and they still got in.

This section would be where you would put:

completing an ironman

qualifying/running boston/newyork/london marathon

running a top tier race (5k,10k, half, or full marathon)- I'm thinking like a 22m 5k kind of race... so fast stuff. If you've placed in a race this would be a good place to put it.

qualified for a national team for sports, a provincial team, provicinal all-star, went to provincials, nationals, placed in an international world competition

high level in an instrument, spelling bee (national/international), jeopardy...

drafted in the CHL (highish round), drafted in the MLB, NHL, NFL, CFL... played soccer in europe, south america...

basically, you put down stuff that not everybody else could have done.

what exactly is supposed to be put in this category? Can local sports tournaments be added here?

The categories are described in the 'step-by-step help' link on the sidebar in the OAS, I pasted the one for the high endeavor catergory below if that helps. I'd say local sports tournaments probably wouldn't fit here, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure I also did not have an entry in this category.

"Occasionally, applicants have been or are involved in one or more activities at a level that exceeds what can be expected of a typical, average applicant. These individuals receive recognition by way of awards, citations, honours, etc., that are reserved for only the highest examples. If you have attained a high level of performance in an activity or received an exceptional level of recognition, please provide the details."

I don't think local sports tournaments count. Competing on the provincial, national, or international level would.

Same with other sporting endeavours: just completing a marathon or triathlon wouldn't count. Qualifying for the Boston or New York marathons, or completing an Ironman triathlon (or Ironman distance) would. I would probably include completing an ultramarathon as well, as that's one step beyond a marathon.

Archived