Premed 101 Forums

upgrade courses u of c

hi all:

so i am planning on upgrading my grades next year. i have already finished a degree so these would be whatever courses. after reading the posts on how the academic portion is subjectively calculated, i was thinking that i should take some courses that have some substance to them. does anyone think that is necessary or should i just do all easy option courses. if the concensus is do the some challenging courses, does anyone have recommendations with specific profs?

cheers,

dttran

I started to do some of the suggested courses at MRU that I had not completed in my previous degree. Class sizes were way smaller, tuition was cheaper, the registrar was more flexible, and the professors were teaching-centric rather than research-centric. I'm not sure if I was penalized for doing courses at a 'new' university, but I really enjoyed the classes and professors. I'm not sure if it's public knowledge how the subjective portion of the GPA calc actually works...?

At MRU:

For evolution/zoology courses look for Dorothy Hill's classes. Maybe the nicest lady ever and always willing to answer any questions.

For cell bio/anatomy look for Izak Paul's classes. He will drum more details into your head than you ever thought possible, but he loves answering questions and goes out of his way to tell you if you have done a good job.

For O-chem look for Susan Morante's classes. She will probably yell at you and won't accept an average effort, but you'll learn a lot and if you are smart and try hard she'll reward you with a great grade.

I started to do some of the suggested courses at MRU that I had not completed in my previous degree. Class sizes were way smaller, tuition was cheaper, the registrar was more flexible, and the professors were teaching-centric rather than research-centric. I'm not sure if I was penalized for doing courses at a 'new' university, but I really enjoyed the classes and professors. I'm not sure if it's public knowledge how the subjective portion of the GPA calc actually works...?

At MRU:

For evolution/zoology courses look for Dorothy Hill's classes. Maybe the nicest lady ever and always willing to answer any questions.

For cell bio/anatomy look for Izak Paul's classes. He will drum more details into your head than you ever thought possible, but he loves answering questions and goes out of his way to tell you if you have done a good job.

For O-chem look for Susan Morante's classes. She will probably yell at you and won't accept an average effort, but you'll learn a lot and if you are smart and try hard she'll reward you with a great grade.

Susan Morante is fantastic. :) .... Also, I love MRU. Small classes and profs who actually want to teach make it such a great school.

Archived