Premed 101 Forums

Physics!!!

mayerrr

Hey guys,

I need some advice on how to study, particularly for physics. I have a very hard time understanding physics as oppose to orgo or bio. I am debating whether or not I should hold off on studying physics for another month, then "power" through it. For bio and chem I can read through it, understand it and not worry if i'll remember it in 3 months from now when I write my MCAT, but physics I feel like i'll just end up forgetting 1 month from now as there are so many formulas, and it is very hard to actually understand the subject. What do you guys think? How are you studying for physics, or what do you find as the best method?

Thanks and goodluck!

Physics is very awesome. Actually, there is solid truth to this: http://xkcd.com/435/

Since math is not really on the MCAT, physics is the next best point of purity.

In fact, to me I don't understand how you study biology without a solid chem/physics background...but that may be just my idiosyncrasy.

So basically you are just telling me that you enjoy physics? Cool...

Physics is very awesome. Actually, there is solid truth to this: http://xkcd.com/435/

Since math is not really on the MCAT, physics is the next best point of purity.

In fact, to me I don't understand how you study biology without a solid chem/physics background...but that may be just my idiosyncrasy.

Macbook that was probably the single most useless post i've seen in a while :P

I would say study physics the exact same way as you study bio and chem. I know it "feels" like you won't remember it all come test day, but you'll be surprised at what you can retain. Its not so much memorizing all the info and recalling it on test day. Its more a factor of getting used to applying different concepts to solve a problem, and then on test day being able to go through those same STEPS of problem solving (not the same specific formulas) to get the answer.

A lot of the physics questions will have the equation given to you, and then you will need to work through relationships between different forces / energies etc to come up with the answer. I would say just sit down, read the material, do practise problems until you're comfortable with the material, and then move on.

When you start writing full length practise tests you will be able to look back and find out which aspects of physics you are still weak at (forgotten the problem solving mechanisms to get the solution) and so you can go back and work on those areas until you've ironed out all of the kinks.

I hope this method helps for you. Its all about perseverance! Good luck!

If you find physics difficult to understand, I would try and continually study for it gradually increasing until the MCAT so you can constantly be up to date rather than just studying now then letting it go or pounding it out in a month.

So basically you are just telling me that you enjoy physics? Cool...

LOL no no I apologize actually...should have read the post a bit more clearly.

MCAT brain cell fry you know? Starting to denature my mylein sheaths...saltatory jumps no longer available....

For physics...it takes a bit longer to conceptualize everything that they need you to learn...especially for electricity. I would highly recommend doing a lot of practice problems and actually watching khan academy videos - the guy there does it quite well. I think it takes practice more than anything; but once you get the hang of it I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I do :D

If you find physics difficult to understand, I would try and continually study for it gradually increasing until the MCAT so you can constantly be up to date rather than just studying now then letting it go or pounding it out in a month.

Ya i forgot to mention.. DO NOT try and cram physics in the last month.. you need to learn the process and that takes time. Memorizing a bunch of equations and solutions will not benefit you at all on the mcat.

Also don't sweat physics killing your entire score. If you can pull a 10 in PS u're good to go (of course its always best to aim higher ^_^ )

Macbook that was probably the single most useless post i've seen in a while :P

I would say study physics the exact same way as you study bio and chem. I know it "feels" like you won't remember it all come test day, but you'll be surprised at what you can retain. Its not so much memorizing all the info and recalling it on test day. Its more a factor of getting used to applying different concepts to solve a problem, and then on test day being able to go through those same STEPS of problem solving (not the same specific formulas) to get the answer.

A lot of the physics questions will have the equation given to you, and then you will need to work through relationships between different forces / energies etc to come up with the answer. I would say just sit down, read the material, do practise problems until you're comfortable with the material, and then move on.

When you start writing full length practise tests you will be able to look back and find out which aspects of physics you are still weak at (forgotten the problem solving mechanisms to get the solution) and so you can go back and work on those areas until you've ironed out all of the kinks.

I hope this method helps for you. Its all about perseverance! Good luck!

Guilty as charged obi...I'm just really tired today

We all relapse after great posts.

Archived