Premed 101 Forums

Mac vs PC???

Macbooks are awesome. I highly recommend it.

*biased advertising at its best*

well...it depends what you use it for. I find macs to be somewhat easier to use because of the OS; but I actually want to go back to PC after some printing hassles that I did not have a fun time dealing with....still haven't fixed it either

Well, I have extensive experience with both. MacBooks pros are indeed beautiful pieces of hardware. However, similar quality hardware can be had on mid-high end windows machines. I also find windows much more intuitive since it emphasizes function over form. For example, have you used Office on Mac? It's terrible...I mean TERRIBLE compared to Offfice 2007 or 2010 on windows. They have some great software for MACs, true, but everything works on windows and windows 7 is by far the best OS Microsoft has ever created. Free Windows Live Mesh is amazing too. I have a laptop and desktop (home) and then a desktop at my lab. I have windows live mesh on all of them and it syncs my important files between all 3 computers, plus the cloud, whenever a change is made.

Anyway, I would go for a windows machine. Let the flaming begin ;)

I think that Mac is best then the Personal computer. In Mac we did not have to worry about the application performance. Mac is new version of its Netbook. They provide high speed and better accuracy to user to perform work and easy to carry any where.

WTF are you blabbing about?

Although I had been using PC's all my life, once i went mac, i couldn't go back. Simple to use and fast, more hassle-free than my previous dell. Plus you can get it at student pricing, get a free $100 printer and the back-to-school deal just started.

I was die hard PC fan, but had to switch to Mac for work. After 1 week getting used to the Mac, I was in love. However, I have been through 4 hard-drives on my Macbook pro (previous model). I had apple care and the customer service was very good, replacing it each time. However, data loss and program reinstallation is not insignificant. My husband has a 5 year old macbook and it has had zero problems. I have a 27' iMac at work and home, no problems there either. I have had to run parallels at home for a few programs, but software for macs is no longer limiting. I would caution that Office can be unstable when working with very large files. Endnote is iffy as well. If you do switch to mac, you will have difficulty going back to PC as the shortcuts and features that make a Mac so wondrous are missing (I get extremely frustrated on a PC now). Definitely spend some time looking up all the tricks on line - it is well worth the time investment.

That being said, seeing what you can buy in the PC aisle for the same amount of money may make you question a Mac purchase!

• 2 weeks later...

Like most, I grew up using a PC. Roughly 5.5 years ago, I purchased a macbook. It worked really well and I had virtually no problem (although as it got older, it started to slow down quite a bit). Five months ago, as I was on my way to school, I noticed that an old juice box that I completely forgot about blew up in my bag. Unfortunately, it seeped into my mackbook and zapped it...lol. Being on my last dime, I couldn't afford to buy a new apple so my BF bought me a toshiba laptop. I've been using it non-stop and find that it's been working really well. In conclusion, I'm getting as much out of the PC as I got from the Mac. If you only run word processor, internet and other basic programs on your computer, I think either system will do so why spend the extra money on a mac? But if you demand a lot out of your computer, maybe a mac would be more suitable.

I loved my mac but I'm happy with my cost-effective pc!

PC !

I bought a brand new 13' Asus Notebook for 700$ 2 months ago. It can do everything a MAC can do... for half of the price !

8-9 hours battery (I tested it!)

3,7 pounds

2 years complete warranty

But if you demand a lot out of your computer, maybe a mac would be more suitable.

That would depend on how much flexibility and customization that you want with your computer (generally those people I know who want a lot of customization will go with PC (or Linux) because Mac is so locked down).

People I know into photography/video seem to flock to Macs.

I use both. A Mac is generally more idiot-proof. Not saying you're an idiot but if you know a lot about computers and know how to take care of them, then either should be satisfactory. I use a PC more often simply because I'm more comfortable with one.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using a Macbook for over 4 years now ... What I especially like about it is that I can dual boot to Windows if I ever need to ( which is REALLY rare because I use my laptop for school works mainly and OSX ( Macintosh's Software ) is compatible with a LOT of apps. .. I even have UptoDate on it :) ! )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Used DOS and Windows PCs (Macs are PCs too aren't they?) all my life. The old problems of Windows and blue screens are a thing of the past. My parents have a Mac which they have endless problems with. I'm always being called asked how to fix problems on it, and not knowing how to use a Mac I can't help. If they're so user-friendly you would think that wouldn't happen. One time my nephew went in there and hit a bunch of keys on the keyboard and screwed up the display resolution. I spent half an hour looking at display settings trying to switch things back and gave up. A printer they had that worked with Windows is not compatible with their Mac. Next computer they get is going to be on Windows.

Long story short, Macs are more aesthetically pleasing and that's really all you are getting with all the extra money you are shelling out for one. In exchange for this alleged simplicity of use (which I've yet to see), you are getting way less functionality and customization.

Archived