Premed 101 Forums

First Year Schedule

Hey, I have a Bio lab and Chem lab on Fridays and was wondering if it is bad to have two labs on one day.

Here is my schedule:

FALL

Monday

8:30-9:30 BIO LEC

9:30-10:30 MATH LEC

Tuesday

10:00-11:30 ECON LEC

11:30-2:30 PYSCH LEC

2:30-4:00 CHEM LEC

Wednesday

Thursday

1:30-2:30 CHEM TUTORIAL

Friday

10:30-1:30 CHEM LAB

2:30-5:30 BIO LAB

I could change my BIO lab to Mon or Wed, but same time 2:30-5:30. Should I do that or no?

Also, there's a chem lec at 11:30-12:30 on Mon, Wed, Fri but its a harder prof.

Should I

1. take Chem with the harder prof

2. change my bio lab to Mon or Wed and leave the rest the same

3. leave everything as is, with 2 labs on one day and 3 straight lectures for 6hrs on Tues?

Your schedule seems pretty crappy. However, I don't think it is necessary to change it. Having both labs on the same day is good because you can get them over with and it is easier for you to plan your lab write ups because they have the same deadline. It is also nice that you get an hour break inbetween both labs where you can get lunch or just chill. Normally (at my university at least) labs are every 2 weeks so perhaps you bio lab and chem lab my alternate. 6 hours of lectures isn't the end of the world, just bring snacks and juice and your should be fine. I had the same problem last year but got through it, it is only once a week anyways.

That is my 2 cents..

Good luck!

Hey, I have a Bio lab and Chem lab on Fridays and was wondering if it is bad to have two labs on one day.

Here is my schedule:

FALL

Monday

Tuesday

11:30-2:30 PYSCH LEC

Wednesday

Thursday

1:30-2:30 CHEM TUTORIAL

Friday

10:30-1:30 CHEM LAB

I could change my BIO lab to Mon or Wed, but same time 2:30-5:30. Should I do that or no?

Also, there's a chem lec at 11:30-12:30 on Mon, Wed, Fri but its a harder prof.

Should I

1. take Chem with the harder prof

2. change my bio lab to Mon or Wed and leave the rest the same

3. leave everything as is, with 2 labs on one day and 3 straight lectures for 6hrs on Tues?

Your schedule sucks... Any way you can give yourself a day off or rearrange to not have a ridic schedule?

Bio Math Econ Psych Chem

Bio Lab

Chem Lab

The ideal thing to do is have your lectures MWF and then labs T Th or both on Th or both on T.

Without seeing your other options it's pretty hard to say what you can do, but if you can I'd switch your psych, econ and chem onto MWF.

I wouldn't recommend having both your labs and two lectures on the same day (friday). I also wouldn't recommend spending more than 5 hours in class in a single day, but that's just from my own experience.

I personally didn't like having two labs on the same day, but your experience may be different. I liked having my labs spread out, throughout the week.

6 hours of class in a row sucks, but can be done if you don't have any other options. If you can switch things around, though, it might be easier on you.

Okay, I changed it up a bit and took the hard chem prof. Does this look a little better?

Monday

11:30-12:30 CHEM LEC

1:30-2:30 BIO LEC

Tuesday

11:30-2:30 PSYCH LEC

Wednesday

Thursday

8:00-9:30 CHEM TUTORIAL

Friday

2:30-5:30 CHEM LAB

I moved the chem lec so its not 6hr lec on Tues anymore and I move the bio lab to mon.

I'd suggest taking sections that are once a week as opposed to MWF...in my experience its hard to work up the motivation to go to school for a bunch of one hour classes. And...make sure you don't change your psych! Mongrain always teaches the tues 11:30-2:30 section and she is amazing!

you're suggesting that a first year student take a bunch of his/her classes as 3 hour once a week lectures.

really?

it's nice to have 1 class that's only once a week, but when you have all of them like that you are setting yourself up for some mistakes.

the majority of people do MWF or T Th classes because they work well for the majority of people. if you work part time or commute a great distance I could see taking more than 1 3hr lecture, but wouldn't recommend it unless you've gotten used to learning that much material for one course in one sitting.

that's just my opinion on the matter and don't want to start a war on this.

i'd say- keep your psych course once a week if you have to. everything else looks like you'll be ok... try and get an hour before your lab or else get your lab on a day where it's just labs to make the transition a little easier.

my first year schedule absolutely sucked... it definitely made the transition to university more annoying than it had to be.

good luck.

I'd suggest taking sections that are once a week as opposed to MWF...in my experience its hard to work up the motivation to go to school for a bunch of one hour classes.

This just shows that everyone is different. I always hated 3 hour long classes that were once I week (although where I did my undergrad, the only once a week courses were night classes). I much prefer one hour classes - nice, easy-to-digest chunks on a particular subject, before you move on to another subject. 90 minute classes are fine too, as long as you don't have a super-boring prof. 3 hour classes were my least favourite. I only took one throughout my entire undergrad, because I hated them so much. :P

What uni are you attending if you don't mind me asking? I found having labs right after class kind of sucks, especially if you have prelabs to do for them. Having an hour in between would be ideal IMO.

im going to york. i cant really change the labs b/c its either 2:30 at mon wed or fri or at 10 on tues or thurs and i have econ on tues/thurs at that time and thats the only time econ is offered.

also, i didnt wanna change my psych cuz i heard mongrains really good xD

Archived